August 22, 2019, 08:18:21 AM

Author Topic: Swords and Scoundrels, Part 1: Ch. 1 to 7  (Read 2362 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Swords and Scoundrels, Part 1: Ch. 1 to 7
« on: August 02, 2016, 07:41:31 PM »
Here is the thread for posting about S&S part one.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Swords and Scoundrels, Part 1: Ch. 1 to 7
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
Just finished chapter four; enjoying it so far. Solid characters and intriguing setting, and the plot looks like it could be good. For me the highlight up to now has been the horses! Great to see them given personality like that—makes the whole situation feel much more real. The one with anger issues in particular is a lot of fun.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 04:55:31 PM »
Finished this section, consistently fun so far! Wouldn't be surprised if Dom is either a magician or some kind of legendary duellist in hiding. All the major characters are nicely done actually, much better than I'd have expected from an action packed sword and sorcery adventure!

Guess nobody else has even started...  ???

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:27:58 PM »
I'm catching up! Now that I'm unburied, I suspect I'll be through the book at a rapid pace in the next week or two.

Just finished chapter 6, and Dom has gone from annoying to one of my favorite characters. I *loved* the way he was casually apologizing as he demolished Egimont's men. If it's possible to do drunken fencing (as opposed to drunken kung-fu) that's kind of what I saw him doing. There's definitely a lot more to him than he was letting on, and I'm curious to find out.

Other than that, I'm enjoying getting to know Vocho and Kacha, and liking the intrigue involved with Egimont. Good stuff.

When reading Chapter 7, I just had a stupid thought that might or might not be a spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I know two things now... Dom is a guy pretending to be a buffoon who is not actually a buffoon, but a really competent duelist, AND

Julia keeps mentioning this guy named Jokin, who is some respected and awesome duelist who supposedly betrayed his guild and fell from grace.

So, my mind goes 'Why do we keep mentioning Jokin if he's not important?' and then 'Wouldn't it be cool of Dom WAS Jokin'?

Probably totally off base, but it's fun to speculate.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:51:59 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »
Where is everyone?

Read the first three chapters, the clockwork stuff is intriguing and the horse with the anger issues is fun.

I'm just hoping karcha is not involved in a love triangle with Egimont and Dom as that's not for me as a reader or that her old love for Edimont will break the spell of Sabates over him.

I don't believe that Vorcho killed the priest at the moment,I'm thinking maybe an illusion by Sabates maybe?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
Where is everyone?
I think Jmack extended this book club into September too (separate thread in the general Book Club section, I think)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
Finally! Forced myself to break off from various time-wasters and spend time wisely on Fantsay reading.  8)

I'm enjoying the book, but it hasn't swept me up yet. I have a terrible tendency to give up on books unless they do, so I'm glad of the Book Club, since it keeps me at it.

And yes, to all and sundry, I've extended S&S through September.

So far...

> Enjoying Dom. Sort of wish that the idea he's much better and smarter than originally thought would hold for longer.
> Clockwork city is cool.
> I don't really get the Guild yet. Sort of reminds me of the Greatcloaks from Traitor's Blade, though I think S&S came out before, so no relation.
> I like Eric's idea in spoilers. Makes sense to me.
> Love the swirling hand magic tattoo stuff. The magic system here is pretty cool.

Onward!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com