April 01, 2020, 11:44:20 AM

Author Topic: [Aug 2016] - Potions and Elixirs - Submission Thread  (Read 10450 times)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Re: [Aug 2016] - Potions and Elixirs - Submission Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »
After a long while, decided to try and have another go at the Writing Contest.

Twitter: @wgsaraband

The Benefit of Hindsight - 683 words

Spoiler for Hiden:
The hard punches on the bedroom door forced me out of the only good dream I had had in a while.

“Azar?” Someone shouted from the other side, struggling with his breath. “Azar, are you in there?”

I jumped up from the bed, and in complete darkness I walked half-naked to the door. My heart was racing, while my head was trying to make sense of things. “Yes, I am here,” I answered back. Then, I realised that I knew that voice. Immediately my fingers went up and down the door, looking to release the locks and allowing for my friend to come in. My fingers were already becoming sweaty, something about Baruna’s urgency making me nervous. In hindsight, I can now see that I knew exactly what was happening at that time, even if I had told myself that such thing would never come to pass.

As I unlocked the door, Baruna rushed in alone, carrying a torch on one hand and a piece of parchment on the other. We hugged, before he told me to close the door.

“The Caliph is dead, my friend,” Baruna said. My unbelief must have been quite evident, for he repeated that phrase a few more times before I could really grasp what it meant. “He was poisoned. A guard found him on the floor, lifeless.” Baruna grabbed my shoulders, shaking me. “Don’t you see? You’re the Caliph’s Alchemist! The Patriarchy has taken control and they are coming for you at this very moment, you have to leave!”

The Patriarch? I thought. That means it’s over. All my work, just as it was about to change the world, will be destroyed.

“Take this,” Baruna said, forcing the parchment into my hand. “The Caliph knew this could happen, so he had arranged for your escape. But we have very little time. Take nothing that may slow you down, and show the parchment to the captain of the Chequered Jade.”

“But, why should I run if I have nothing to do with the Caliph’s death?” I said. “That will only confirm my guilt in everyone else’s eyes.”

“My friend, the Caliph trusted me as much as he trusted you, and so I know the things you studied with your potions,” Baruna said. But now there was a hint of accusation in his tone, as even he couldn’t approve of what he thought I did, despite our long-lasting friendship. “The Patriarchy has been watching you for long. With the Caliph no longer here to protect you, what punishment will they have for the man who committed the highest blasphemy of them all…” He hesitated, aching to even pronounce the blasphemy of which I was responsible. “For the man who created an elixir of eternal life?”

I remember very little else from that night. I took only a robe, the coins I had with me in my room, and my alchemist’s trunk. I couldn’t leave it behind, for its contents were more precious than my own life. More precious than anything I knew.

And so I found myself embarking the Chequered Jade, leaving the city of Sajarakand behind. I knew that I would never again be able to return, so long as the Patriarchy held its grip on our kingdom. At that time, my only chance of having a future was in the hope that I could take my elixir far, far away, and find a king or emperor that saw it for the gift, and not the curse, that it was.

But who, out there, would not simply take my elixir from me, and have me killed on the spot? Men like the Caliph were very rare; it was unlikely that I would ever meet a ruler as enlightened as he.

So, almost a hundred and thirty years after these events took place, I think I can now safely say that I made the right decision. Besides the hassle of having to move around so much, so as not to raise suspicions about my youth, I believe I have been able to make the most out of it.

All things considered, of course.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »
Potion, Potion, Potion
Word count: 1497.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Potion, Potion, Potion

Certain he had not been followed, Icewind ducked into the shadowed alcove which led to the apothecary—the only one in town which might yet hold hope for him. The wizard checked his sword belt; it was still secure. He almost felt regret that it was so. With a silent prayer, he opened the door.

A bell rang softly in the depths of the store as the door swung shut behind him. Shelves stood in front of windows, housing hundreds of bottles of every size and shape and hue. Rainbow shafts of light pulsed unnaturally, warped by the eternal swirling of the bottles' contents. The shopkeeper was nowhere to be seen; the counter was clear, except for a pile of unopened parcels.

A voice spoke from the depths of the shop. "I'll just be a minute."

Icewind inhaled deeply—the place was filled with the aroma of enticing spices, undercut by the distinctive scent of smoke. He drifted along the shelves, perusing the bottles' yellowed labels. Tinctures for the mind. Cures for common ailments. Potions for love, or luck, or joy. Every petty thing on which small-minded commoners would waste their money; nothing even close to what he needed.

But hidden powers lurked within this place. He felt it in his bones.

The shopkeeper hurried over, groaning as he set down a crate of potions. A short, fat alchemist with patchy hair, he didn't look like much. He hesitated. "Would you mind if I shelve these first?"

Icewind waved him on.

"I'm Elric by the way." The shopkeeper shoved the bottles onto the shelves. He didn't seem to pay much attention to what went where, and instead crammed each one into any vacant crevice. Once the crate was empty, he bowed to Icewind. "How may I help?"

"This is a little embarrassing. I'm looking for a potion—"

"Potion, potion, potion..."

The alchemist raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry about that." Icewind cleared his throat. "I'm looking for an elixir. It has to prevent—"

"Prevent, prevent, prevent..."

The shopkeeper frowned and looked Icewind up and down.

The wizard shifted awkwardly. Better to ignore it—now was not the time. "It has to hide me from someone."

"Woman troubles?" The alchemist nodded sagely. "Well... first you'll need something to get rid of that enchant—"

"That's not necessary. I just don't want her to see me."

"But what about those echoes?"

"I can deal with them. What I can't do is get away from her. I'd make the elixir myself, but I'm between places—"

"Places, places, places..."

Icewind's hand twitched toward the hilt of his sword.

"You can hardly finish a sentence. You're sure you don't want—"

"I'm sure. It's best to just ignore it."

"It's likely a simple spell. It would be no problem—"

"Problem, problem, problem..."

The alchemist was speechless for a moment. "That's... not normal. You need to get that seen to."

"I just need the elixir."

"Are you sure I can't persua—"

"Persuade, persuade, persuade..."

"Just leave it alone. Please."

"Please, please, please..."

"Is it just words beginning with a 'p'?"

"Pee, pee, pee..."

"Apparently."

"Fascinating. I'd really like to—"

"I'm sorry, but I just want the elixir. I know what's causing the echoes."

"I'm sure you do, but—"

"It's not important. Do you have the elixir or not?"

"Of course, but its effects might be interfered with by the spell. If I could just—"

"It's not a spell. Perhaps—"

"Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps..."

"What else could it be?"

Icewind gritted his teeth. "If you don't have something prepared—"

"Prepared, prepared, prepared..."

"I've heard of a spell like that before. It drove the man insane. It would take me little time to—"

"It's not a spell."

"This man thought so too, but—"

"Please—"

"Please, please, please..."

"He was cured, and—"

"Just hold on a minute—"

"I love studying this kind—"

"I'm the customer here, so—"

"I'll make your elixir for free if you let me—"

"You won't be able to help! Like I said—"

"Decoding spells is my passion—"

"Passion, passion, passion..."

"—and this one looks extremely interesting—"

"I'm sorry, but it's—"

"—such spells are not—"

"It's not a—"

"I'd consider myself in your debt—"

"IT'S MY SWORD!"

The shopkeeper paused mid-word.

Icewind massaged his temples.

"Uh... Excuse me?"

The wizard sighed. "I have a talking sword. It's annoyed with me. It's been doing this for days."

The alchemist looked incredulous.

The wizard shrugged. "Its sense of humour is... awful."

"Awesome, awesome, awesome..."

The two men stared at the sword.

"That's... How does one upset a sword?"

"It's a long story."

"Okay..." The alchemist shook himself. "I'd like to apologise. Decoding spells is my hobby, and I thought..."

Icewind dismissed it with a wave of his hand. "It's fine—Elric, was it? I understand."

"Thank you. So, you're looking for a concealment elixir?"

"Do you have something ready-made?"

"It's not an everyday request." Elric scratched his head. "A few deliveries arrived today, I think what you're looking for might be in one of them. I've been waiting for a variety set to arrive."

"I'd be happy to help look through the par—"

"Parcels, parcels, parcels..."

"Thanks, but you probably wouldn't know what you're looking for."

"I'm familiar with alchemy."

Elric looked skeptical. "Many are, but few have—"

"I'm a mage."

The alchemist straightened. "I see. And the woman?"

"She's a witch."

Elric stared at Icewind for a moment, biting his lip. He took a deep breath. "I guess it can't hurt."

Icewind rolled his eyes and reached for the closest box—which was much lighter than expected. He opened it, and paused in confusion. It had a cake inside. "Elric?"

The alchemist leaned over to take a look. "Aha! That's from across the road. The baker trades me cakes for tonics." He licked his lips.

Brightedge spoke up at last, his tone reproachful. "Cake? You'd better let me cut it this time."

"For the love of—"

Elric blinked. "Your sword wants to cut the cake?"

"It's what we fell out over."

"He wouldn't let me do it. Heartless bastard."

Icewind rolled his eyes. "And look how that turned out."

The sword sighed. "That's beside the point."

Elric frowned. "What is?"

"I threw the cake out the window. It exploded."

"It what?"

"Yeah. She had sent it."

"Ah..."

"She's been just one step behind me ever since. That's why I need this potion."

"Potionpotionpotion. You two are getting sidetracked. There's nothing wrong with this cake. Let's cut it now."

Icewind glared at the sword. "We're busy."

"Actually, it's not a bad idea. There's a lot of boxes."

"I'm not sure—"

Brightedge cut in. "It'll be more than just words beginning with 'p' if you say no."

Wizard and sword glared at each other for a moment.

Elric looked from one to the other, then stood up. "Cake it is. I'll go get some drinks—you can cut it if you like!" He disappeared into the back of the shop.

Brightedge glittered with glee.

"Okay. Swear you'll stop with the echoes after this?"

"That's fair."

Icewind tried to look stern. "Just make sure you savour it." He moved a couple of boxes out of the way, drew the sword, and slowly, carefully, cut the cake.

Brightedge chattered to itself, its voice ringing with delight. Each cut brought forth squeals of joy as the blade sliced through the icing and into the layers beneath. Once the last cut was made, the sword sighed contentedly. "Whoever invented cake deserves to be showered with gold."

The wizard rolled his eyes, wiped the sword clean, and slid it back into its scabbard. "You'd better keep your promise."

"Promise, promise, promise..."

"Don't you dare—"

Brightedge giggled. "Sorry. Couldn't resist."

The shopkeeper returned a minute later with a wine bottle and two glasses. "I hope this one's good." He poured the wine, his hands shaking slightly. The cobalt liquid flashed and shimmered with every movement, filled with sparks of light which moved in neverending whirls.

Icewind picked up the glass, mesmerised, and tilted it from side to side. "What is it?"

"Something I created." Elric smiled nervously. "It's like a sparkling wine, but it packs a greater punch. You'll be the first to try it!" He poured himself a glass as well.

The wizard raised his drink—"Cheers!"—and took a generous mouthful. It was glorious—silky smooth, a taste like the most exotic fruits, and it left a tingling on his tongue. He savoured it for a moment, then swallowed. "That's incredible!"

Elric put his glass down and took a deep breath.

Icewind frowned. "What..." The taste of the wine was fading, but the tingling feeling wasn't. It intensified, began to spread—from his stomach now as well.

The glass fell from his hand, shattered on the flagstones; he struggled to stay upright.

"I'm sorry. She knew you would come here. I almost didn't realise you were the one."

The store began to spin, and then dissolved into shadows.
Fantasy Faction sanctioned account for anonymous submissions in the monthly writing contest. Each post by this account may be from a different user.

Any members interested in submitting anonymously, please contact a mod.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 05:29:35 PM »
Okay, here it goes...
This is a little naughty/crude, kind of old-timey poem/song-thingy.

Contains... innuendo?

I don't even know. I'm sorry, I guess.  :D :-[

297 words, including the title The Man and the Witch.

Spoiler for The Man and the Witch:

The Man and the Witch

There was a man whose sole son fell ill.
He went to a doctor, said "This is no drill!"

"He can't be cured by a mere lotion",
said the doc, "You need a magical potion."

The doctor told him about a witch,
whom all the town's people called "that ugly bi..."
Diddly-doo diddly-doo diddly did daddly-doo.

The man rushed out without any goods.
He made his way through the dark, dangerous woods.

Then he finally saw a lone hut.
He entered the house as the door was not shut.

"I can give you the potion you hunt,
but", said the witch, "I need your seed in my cu..."

"No, I can't. You're the ugliest thing!"
"To one who's forlorn I look fit for a king."

"I will not suffer your bad allure."
"Suit yourself sir, but 'tis your son's only cure."

The man had no more time for nagging.
"Okay then", he said, "Let's just start the sha...

He followed the witch to her bedroom,
then shoved her in and locked her into the gloom.

He took all her brews and then he ran.
"Hold on, my son, I run as fast as I can."

The witch was chanting some old, foul hex,
but at least the man had avoided the se...

On his way out the man felt a jolt.
He dropped the vials as he was shot with a bolt.

For rest of his trek he felt like hell.
Once he got home his son was already well.

The old man got naught from this sad farce,
except the pain from the bolt up in his arse.

What?

I mean... Diddly-doo diddly-doo diddly did daddly-doo.

Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Junverrich

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:20 PM »
Okay...here it is...this is my first time...so be kind. (Or don't, I'm not the boss of you.)
P.S. Thanks so much for waiting @ScarletBea!
P.P.S Are you happy now @m3mnoch?

Three Boys, One Bucket
Word Count: 940
Spoiler for Hiden:
The three boys sat on the garage floor, legs crossed, eyes wide, and mouths hanging open as they watched the once empty space above them open up into a wide circle with a strange bluish light emanating from the inside. Ten minutes before they had been laughing and telling fart jokes while Jay dumped a bunch of liquids into a bucket, typical cleaners and solutions that every dad has in the garage for every possible eventuality. The plan was to just set some stuff on fire.
Jay liked fire and knew how to make the flames turn different colors by adding different stuff. As a result of this talent, his friends had started to call him “The Wizard.” Jay just wanted to set stuff on fire…if he had an audience that was just fine.
This time, Jay had thrown in some laundry detergent and other household cleaners. He had even found some old plant food from the garden. All ingredients for a fantastic fire show.
His friends, Zach and Jorge, watched in amazement as he had ceremoniously struck a match on the bottom of his sneakers and threw it in the bucket with proper wizard-like flourish. His brew produced a whoosh as it came alive in blue and green flames.
Zach and Jorge chanted, “Wiz-ard! Wiz-ard! Wiz-ard! Wiz-ard!”
Jay had then grabbed some metal shavings from his Dad’s scrap bin and threw them into the flames. Bright gold sparks shot through the multicolored flame.
That was when it had happened.
They had heard a strange tearing sound that seemed to come from all around them. The air above the metal bucket started to waver and stretch. A vertical slit of bright white light started to form and grew into a giant circle. A giant gust of wind extinguished their beautiful fire and then the whole garage had started to glow in an eerie blue-white light.
Now the boys watched in a mix of revulsion and captivation as four long, webbed fingers, then a bony wrist, followed by a long skinny bluish-white arm emerged from the circle. This was followed by a long skinny body with a giant head that held two huge black almond shaped eyes very close to a tiny nose. Quite abruptly, the circle disappeared and this strange blue being was left hovering in the air above them. 
A shimmery metallic cloth clung to its slender body. It had no hair and they noticed that not just the fingers were webbed but also between each toe was what appeared to be a lacy webbing.
With arms out-stretched and head thrown back, the being spoke, “I am The Great Ethamrapap. Who is the wizard who summoned me with their strong magic and powerful potions?”
The boys blinked simultaneously.
“Your wizard sent for me.” Ethamrapap continued. “Where is the wizard?”
Zach and Jorge, finally finding their feet, scrambled behind Jay.
Ethamrapap gestured to Jay, “Are you the wizard?” There was a slight tone of disbelief behind the words this time.
“Uh…I’m…Uh…m-m-m-m-my…um…” Jay stammered.
“Yes! J-j-j-j-j-jay is the wizard!” Zach volunteered, pointing at Jay with both hands.
Ethamrapap’s color changed and seemed to shimmer for a brief second.
“Wait…what?” The creature blinked twice. “YOU…are the…wizard?” A strange sound emitted from the creature as it slapped itself in the forehead.
“Well. Shit.”
The boys nervously looked at each other and slightly shrugged their shoulders.
 “Shit. Shit. Shit.” The creature gestured with its wrist and the eerie light was gone. In the now less than dramatic light of the garage, Ethamrapap appeared slightly greenish with flakey, scabby skin, and a weird bit of hair on his chin. The fancy metallic cloth that had draped his body fell to the floor and revealed old gray sweatpants with the ankle elastic shot and with what appeared to be Cheetos stains all over.
The boys gasped.
“What? You’ve never seen someone on their day off get called into work? I’m not dressing up for anyone on my day off…not even a “great wizard.” Ethamrapap did air quotes and then crossed his skinny arms across his scrawny chest.
Jay finally found his voice. “W-what are you doing here? W-who? What?”
“Settle down tiny Earth boy. First, I’m here because you little weirdoes summoned me, my name is really Vicram, and I’m an alien…duh.” The alien brushed a little at the sweatpants. “I was at home, in my sweatpants, eating Cheetos about to kick my brother’s ass at Halo thank you very much.”
“Um…uh…w-w-w-why would a wizard s-s-summon…you?” Jorge barely whispered.
“Ugh…don’t you kids read anymore? A wizard summons an alien to carry out spells and other special requests. It doesn’t pay that great but I get one hell of a discount on special effects.” Vicram flicked his wrist again and the light was instantly shimmering around them. “See? Ooooh….Ahhhh. Pretty lights!” The wrist flicked and the light was gone again.
“Dude.” Said Zach
“Dude.” Agreed Jorge
“Duuuuuude.” Concluded Jay.
“Soooo…anyway…” Vicram ran its thumb-like digits along the waistband of the sweatpants. “Since I’m here…anyone have a Code Red Mt. Dew?” His eyes rolled over to the Jeep parked next to them. “Hey now…this is awesome!” Vicram grabbed the keys off the wall and jumped in the vehicle.
“Look tiny humans, I don’t get paid to babysit so I’m gonna get back to it.” Vicram crashed the Jeep through the garage doors and burned rubber down the street. The boys sat in stunned silence, the smell of burned tires settling around them.
“Should we try it again?” Jay asked the guys.
 “YEAH! This time let’s try for an ogre!”
THE END