September 23, 2020, 12:50:00 AM

Author Topic: [AUG 2015] - Space Opera - Discussion Thread  (Read 34038 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
[AUG 2015] - Space Opera - Discussion Thread
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
Space Opera

"Perry Rhodan"

"Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare and often romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space. It usually involves conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons and other sophisticated technology."(wikipedia)

So Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game or George Lucas' Star Wars are all space operas.

The term was coined by Wilson Tucker in 1941 and for him this was a "hacky, grinding, stinking, outworn, spaceship yarn". The mix of a cheap western and a soap opera put into space.

Back cover of Galaxy #1, October 1950

This gives you two interesting options.
On the one hand, you can write a cool and fantastic sci-fi story with space ships, aliens, etc. On the other hand, you can write a cheesy sci-fi cliché story Wilson Tucker would have detested. ;)

Both is a valid option and should lead to entertaining results. :)

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. Must be recognizable as a space opera
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

Entry will close September 1st 2015 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:50:27 AM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
Re: [AUG 2015] - Space Opera - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
What's the difference between this and sci-fi?  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
Well, space opera technically is sci-fi, albeit it a narrower subgenre. But it's much more of a fantastical, out-there sort of thing compared to other sci-fi genres with more realistic/scientific approaches to their subject material. Think more like Star Wars and Flash Gordon, rather than Blade Runner or Star Trek.

To simplify, it's kinda like an epic fantasy (or opera as the name suggests) in space.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »
PLUTOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeah, now I just need to narrow down my ideas. So excited for this month.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
I look forward to (some of) you changing my (dis)like for this genre ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline TOMunro

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Soulfinder
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »
Hmm! interesting Mr Xiagan, very interesting.  Might be difficult to covey the epic grandeur and scale of space opera in 1500 words of a short story,  but I guess that just makes it a good challenge.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 03:42:51 PM »
Oh Hell yeah, prepare for HORROR IN SPACE.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Paul Birbilas

• Coreling
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »

Nothing really different, Sci-fi is just a very broad genre. I've heard it broken down into these categories.

Military: Starship troopers, Old Man's War, Forever War, etc..
Space Opera: Star wars, Enders game, etc.
hard scifi: author usually has a PHD (heavy emphasis on the science)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

Space opera is in space (duh).
Scifi isn't necessarily in space.
Another good example of space opera is Pilot Pirx.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
I would have Star Trek as Space Opera. For me its a story about travelling between worlds and galaxies in space ships. Personally I adore space opera and just sad I was born a few centuries to early to travel between the stars.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »
I've never written a space opera before, never really written much sci-fi at all before. Should be an interesting attempt.

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »
I've never written a space opera before, never really written much sci-fi at all before. Should be an interesting attempt.

dude, right there with you.

my written sci-fi consumption consists of battlefield earth, armor by john steakley, and some star wars expanded universe stuff.  that's it.  not to mention, i've never written a line (nor was a game master) for anything space or sci-fi.

however, all that stuff makes me SUPER EXCITED to try and rock this!

pew!  pew!  pew!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 05:34:02 PM »

dude, right there with you.

my written sci-fi consumption consists of battlefield earth, armor by john steakley, and some star wars expanded universe stuff.  that's it.  not to mention, i've never written a line (nor was a game master) for anything space or sci-fi.

however, all that stuff makes me SUPER EXCITED to try and rock this!

pew!  pew!  pew!

My written sci-fi is very limited, and space opera is non-existent. Which is why I'm having a little trouble trying to pen a good idea to fit the theme. I wanted to do horror like Nora, with maybe a bit of radioactive wombats thrown into the mix, but now I have an idea for a Western tickling at my thought process. If only I could figure out a way  to make that suitably epic.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
Well, space opera technically is sci-fi, albeit it a narrower subgenre. But it's much more of a fantastical, out-there sort of thing compared to other sci-fi genres with more realistic/scientific approaches to their subject material. Think more like Star Wars and Flash Gordon, rather than Blade Runner or Star Trek.

To simplify, it's kinda like an epic fantasy (or opera as the name suggests) in space.
Nothing really different, Sci-fi is just a very broad genre. I've heard it broken down into these categories.

Military: Starship troopers, Old Man's War, Forever War, etc..
Space Opera: Star wars, Enders game, etc.
hard scifi: author usually has a PHD (heavy emphasis on the science)
Space opera is in space (duh).
Scifi isn't necessarily in space.
Another good example of space opera is Pilot Pirx.
I've heard the term before but it never seemed very well defined, wanted to know how people here interpreted it so thanks guys! I guess the ideal would be "sci-fi that takes place in space but doesn't focus on technology" then. Dune/Foundation kind of thing. I haven't read much of that kind of sci-fi, I mostly stuck to stuff like Childhood's End or A Canticle for Leibowitz, so this should be interesting!

Wouldn't Ender's Game count as military though since it's all about the military? The sequels (ignoring the Shadow series) aren't, so I guess that's the bit you're counting as space opera?
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Eli_Freysson

• Master Namer
    • Eli Freysson's author page
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 10:41:40 PM »
Ahhh, interesting choice.

I've never really done space opera, except as a joke. Which I guess is surprising, given that my total ignorance about space travel and technology probably makes me ideally suited for the genre.  :P

I do have this comedy space pirate character, but I'm not sure if I can fit her into the word count. I'll see over the next days.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!