February 27, 2021, 10:31:45 AM

Author Topic: Fairyland- Finished!  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Fellshot

• Bridgeburner
    • Deluded Visions: Getting plebeian cooties on the literary artform
Fairyland- Finished!
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
The Marquess is a conniving, cunning creature and she makes a wonderful foil to September. I enjoyed how September realized that she had in fact started to grow a heart that she would consider that her mother would miss er if she were to stay in Fairyland forever. I like that the Marquess has been put away for use later as well.

There are places where the book distinctly echoes The Oz and Narnia series, particularly with how children cross over into Fairyland and how time functions for the Ravished and the Stumbled while there. I like that September takes Dorothy's tack of "I have to go back to my family" instead of how the kids in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe are there more to not deal with the gravity of their real world circumstances, although they adapt to returning in a vastly different way than the Marquess does and for good reason given the Marquess's home life.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Offline Asinus1223

• Tribute
    • A Mule In The Chapter House
Re: Fairyland- Finished!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
I'm so sorry.

I kind of warmed to the Marquess. Spoiler tagged for Narnia spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think she's kind of like what Susan Pevensey would have been like if she had wandered back into Narnia after her siblings had been killed in the train wreck.

In other words, Neil Gaiman's Susan Pevensey, not Lewis'

Update by Mod to add spoiler tag
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:43:24 PM by Arry »
The City is simultaneously hierarchical and republican

Offline Victoria Hooper

• Night Angel
    • Vicky Thinks (my blog)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
Yes! I was thinking a very similar thing about the Marquess being like a kind of Susan who's been screwed over massively by being pulled into a fantasyland and then spat back out again as if she's nothing. Susan was even a queen of Narnia and then was completely rejected by it. Like Susan, the Marquess also ruled fairyland well and wisely, but she was still rejected too. I understand how she feels. Of course, it doesn't forgive what she's doing, but it does make her a sympathetic character and so a really fantastic antagonist. I'm also happy that it looks like she'll be brought back into the story in later books.

I thought this had a great ending and I really loved the book overall. Defo reading the next ones!  :)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
Just a friendly reminder to use spoiler tags when discussing other books. :)

I know most people have read Narnia, but there are a few of us that have not ... or well, at least me. :) There could be others. I added one spoiler tag above, but if there are any other major things mentioned, if you could put spoiler tags around it, that would be great.

Thanks!  ;D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »
The marquess is a really sad and broken person.  :'( I hope that someday the mapmaker (I guess he was Mallow's spouse) will go on a quest (where he gets younger?) and finds her and kisses her awake and everything is good again. Even villains should get a happy end in fairyland. :)

Even if I didn't like it (and I did!) I would read the next book to learn more about September's and Saturday's daughter. I have the feeling that she'll be a really, really cool character!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jeni

• Another Gariath fan
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »
The marquess is a really sad and broken person.  :'( I hope that someday the mapmaker (I guess he was Mallow's spouse) will go on a quest (where he gets younger?) and finds her and kisses her awake and everything is good again. Even villains should get a happy end in fairyland. :)

Awww! :D

Loved the Marquess/Mallow twist. It fostered a previously non-existent level of empathy for the Marquess which didn't actually last long, because her own fear of leaving Fairyland had made her too selfish, spiteful and sly for me to care what happened to her. (She reminded me of my sister - ooops!)

I thought the Saturday/September daughter thing was cute - especially the fact that Saturday recognised her immediately and September was oblivious.

Was happy that the key arrived in time to begin fulfilling it's purpose.

Really enjoyed this book overall.

Offline Fellshot

• Bridgeburner
    • Deluded Visions: Getting plebeian cooties on the literary artform
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 04:42:55 AM »
Even if I didn't like it (and I did!) I would read the next book to learn more about September's and Saturday's daughter. I have the feeling that she'll be a really, really cool character!

*cough* TIME LORD *cough* XD

The Marquess is a wonderful villain. I'm wondering more if she might be connected to September's mother in some way.