July 10, 2020, 06:34:30 AM

Author Topic: Prologue: The Boy Who Stole Too Much  (Read 10705 times)

Offline Overlord

Prologue: The Boy Who Stole Too Much
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »
Prologue: The Boy Who Stole Too Much

At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.

‘Have I got a deal for you!’ the Thiefmaker began, perhaps inauspiciously.

‘Another deal like Calo and Galdo, maybe?’ said the Eyeless Priest. ‘I’ve still got my hands full training those giggling idiots out of every bad habit they picked up from you and replacing them with the bad habits I need.’

‘Now, Chains.’ The Thiefmaker shrugged. ‘I told you they were shit-flinging little monkeys when we made the deal, and it was good enough for you at the—’

‘Or maybe another deal like Sabetha?’ The priest’s richer, deeper voice chased the Thiefmaker’s objection right back down his throat. ‘I’m sure you recall charging me everything but my dead mother’s kneecaps for her. I should’ve paid you in copper and watched you spring a rupture trying to haul it all away.’

‘Ahhhhhh, but she was special, and this boy, this boy, he’s special too,’ said the Thiefmaker. ‘Everything you asked me to look for after I sold you Calo and Galdo. Everything you liked so much about Sabetha! He’s Camorri, but a mongrel. Therin and Vadran blood. He looks like Parlay or Somnay Vadran, if you ask me. He’s got larceny in his heart, sure as the sea’s full of fish piss. And I can even let you have him at a . . . a discount.’

The Eyeless Priest spent a long moment mulling this. ‘You’ll pardon me,’ he finally said, 'if experience suggests that I would be wise to meet unexpected generosity from you by arming myself and putting my back against a wall.’

The Thiefmaker tried to let a vaguely sincere expression scurry onto his face, where it froze in evident discomfort. His shrug was theatrically casual. ‘There are, ah, problems with the boy, yes. But the problems are unique to his situation in my care. Were he under yours, I’m sure they would, ahhhh, vanish.’

‘Oh. Oh. You have a magic boy. Why didn’t you say so?’ The priest scratched his forehead beneath the white silk blindfold that covered his eyes. ‘Magnificent. I’ll plant him in the fucking ground and grow a vine to an enchanted land beyond the clouds.’

‘Ahhhhh! Ah ah ah, I’ve tasted that flavour of sarcasm from you before, Chains.’ The Thiefmaker gave an arthritic mock bow. ‘Is it really so hard to say that you’re interested?’

The Eyeless Priest spat. ‘Suppose Calo, Galdo and Sabetha might be able to use a new playmate, or at least a punching bag. Suppose I’m willing to spend about three coppers and a bowl of piss for an unlooked-for mystery boy. What’s the boy’s problem?’

‘His problem,’ said the Thiefmaker, ‘is that if I can’t sell him to you, I’m going to have to slit his throat and throw him in the bay. And I’m going to have to do it tonight.’
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

Re: Prologue: The Boy Who Stole Too Much
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »
You can download the first 9000 words by clicking the link below:

http://www.scottlynch.us/files/tlollexcerpt.rtf

It's an 'RTF' file so will work on most systems :)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
  ‘His problem,’ said the Thiefmaker, ‘is that if I can’t sell him to you, I’m going to have to slit his throat and throw him in the bay. And I’m going to have to do it tonight.’

Great line to end on, makes you want to read on.  Also I imagine Al Pacino as Old Man Chains. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Overlord

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »

Great line to end on, makes you want to read on.  Also I imagine Al Pacino as Old Man Chains. 

It was that line that made me buy the book originally :)

Offline Khaldun

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »
Weren't we just talking about good prologues recently? I forgot how good this one was. Yeah that last line really got me too!!! (plus the general grittiness of the characters/setting).

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:14:13 PM »
When I first read the prologue I was intially reminded of Fagin in Oliver!!!   :o  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:50:31 AM by ChristinaJL »

Offline Minesril

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »
Is he not based on Fagin, then? *confused*

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »
That's what I thought too ^
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Overlord

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »
You can divinely see a connection to Oliver Twist and Ocean's Eleven in the novel :) I think Scott Lynch openly admits to using a lot of resource material and then meshing them all together into a fantasy like setting.

Offline Khaldun

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
I'm sure almost everything is just a mess of previously written stuff, whether fictional or not, but transposed into a different setting with a few twists and turns or thrown into a blender with somethign else. And I'm fine with that. We've been writing for a couple thousand years, seems only natural that this be the case. 
Never read Oliver Twist though, even though I was an English major. Maybe I'll need to get on that, as I love Charles Dickens anyways...

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
I had to read Oliver Twist at school when I was 12, it's a great book. 

Offline Overlord

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »
Oh yeah, I certainly wasn't shouting 'RIP OFF!', I was just mentioning the fact that the base material was quite evident. :)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 05:51:08 AM »
And you can also make a few Godfather comparisons! And when you get to the second book think Robert Louis Stephenson.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
When I first read the prologue I was intially reminded of Fagin in Oliver!!!   :o  

Me too! (Sorry I know it's not April 1st yet but I started it last night!)
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »

Me too! (Sorry I know it's not April 1st yet but I started it last night!)

I'm trying really hard to be good and wait, but it's sitting right on my desk...