June 22, 2018, 12:34:21 AM

Author Topic: [APR 2018] - Maiden, Mother and Crone - Discussion Thread  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [APR 2018] - Maiden, Mother and Crone - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
I have three generations of women of the same family and an extra mother, with POV being fluid, moving from one to another. Hope it'll work.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 12:27:25 AM »
*that moment you realize the short story you spent most of the day on is an exposition chapter for a novel in disguise* :-\

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 07:49:02 PM »
*that moment you realize the short story you spent most of the day on is an exposition chapter for a novel in disguise* :-\
Could be a blessing. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
Could be a blessing. ;)
Even if I don't post it, the story is helping me work some things out with parts of my current setting. Ideas I've had for awhile, but never got around to fleshing out before now.

Though given the nature of the idea itself, I'm surprised I didn't realize it'd be a lot of exposition sooner.

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 01:11:26 AM »
1,900 words and counting.
 >:(
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
On a random comment about our Monthly Contest, I love how it's been a springboard for bigger stories, ideas and motivation for so many people - especially when they weren't expecting that :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
We've passed mid month and there's only one submission!

Is everyone working on their stories?
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 12:46:52 PM »
No, I've been very lazy and not done anything much beyond my starting burst.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »
I confess, I'm at the same stage as Nora. I've plotted it out and hit 350ish words, but I've been bogged down with work due to Easter and various staffing issues resulting from bizarre business change-ups.

I intend to make it the top priority next week, as this is one I really want to write, but I probably won't be ready to submit until the last minute as I don't want to rush job this one out in a day.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
I'll let you in a little secret, don't tell the others: I'm on holidays during the month-changing week, so I'll only close the submissions on Sunday 6th May when I'm back...
 ;)

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
My entry for the month is getting there.  It's gone through a couple of drafts and re-writes already and I'm aiming to have it up by this time next week (since I might not have the time at the very end of the month or the start of the next to work on it last minute). 

It's gone a little outside my usual comfort zone but I'm enjoying where this story has taken me. 

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:35 PM »
Oh! An extra 6 days is probably useful. Not that it means I can slack more, but more that I can do an extra level of polishing to what I hope will be the start of something special.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »
Yeah that'll be good since I started writing a script. My first heckling script, so that half my time is spent writing it and the other half learning how to write a damn script to begin with. Now I'll need to pause that and return to the contest. Do something fast and back into script mode.

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 04:12:00 PM »
I ended up changing ideas as the other one was turning out too much like a textbook. It was as I finished the first draft of the second story that I realized I only had a maiden, no mother or crone. Sure characters show up or are mentioned which could fit those age groups, but no MCs of either. Not sure how I missed that aspect.

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 12:33:39 AM »
I went up to 2,000+ words, then I started over with the first 400 or so. I’m up to 1,100 and trying to figure out how to get to anything actually hapenning.  ???
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)