July 20, 2019, 09:12:02 PM

Author Topic: [APR 2018] - Maiden, Mother and Crone - Discussion Thread  (Read 7840 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[APR 2018] - Maiden, Mother and Crone - Discussion Thread
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:20:07 PM »
Maiden, Mother and Crone

"Tripple Goddess"

The depiction of women in fantasy is a controverse, fascinating and ongoing topic.
For April, we want you to write a story about women.
Specifically, we want a story with at least two main characters/POVs and those two must be picked from the aspects of the tripple goddess: Maiden/virgin, mother and crone. This doesn't mean that you have to write a story about goddesses or their avatars but that we want a maiden and a mother, a maiden and a crone or a mother and a crone as the main protagonists of the story.

We don't think that this needs being said on this forum but anyway: Main character means the person who acts. No damsels in distress but dragon slaying princesses, please.

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The story must have at least two main characters. Maiden and Mother, Mother and Crone or Maiden and Crone.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close Apr 30th/Mai 1st, 2018 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: [APR 2018] - Maiden, Mother and Crone - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:08:51 AM »
At least two MCs, two POVs. That’s quite a challenge. Much easier to write a story in which these characters interact with the MC. But, that’s why it’s a contest.  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »
At least two MCs, two POVs. That’s quite a challenge. Much easier to write a story in which these characters interact with the MC. But, that’s why it’s a contest.  ;)
We mean have either, you can have a story with at least 2 POVs or a story with at least 2 MCs.
But the maiden/mother/crone have to be either the POV or the MCs, not "interacting with the MC".
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:48:07 PM »
Just to make things clear, I already have what I want, as a story: my third retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. This being said, the words for "crone" and "maiden" are totally out of tone and I want to refer to them as elder or grandmother, and the kid is like 12, so everyone ought to assume she's a "maiden". Is that alright? We don't have to use the words if it's obvious, right?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 09:14:26 PM »
That's fine by me, yes. No specific word usage if they're not appropriate to the story tone :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 10:38:41 PM »
Just to make things clear, I already have what I want, as a story: my third retelling of Little Red Riding Hood.

Time to confess - you are really obsessed with The Wolf. :P

Will look forward to see where it fits in this one.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 11:07:46 PM »
At lunch today, I closed my office door and started mapping my characters and plot all over my huge white board.
This is another month where the story very politely decided to fit into a setting I've been thinking about for 20+ years and have never completed anything about.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 12:23:20 AM »
Just to make things clear, I already have what I want, as a story: my third retelling of Little Red Riding Hood.

Time to confess - you are really obsessed with The Wolf. :P

Will look forward to see where it fits in this one.

I am sorry to say, I have no easy explanation for you. The story of riding hood is deeply ingrained in my culture, and in some parts of it, it still is an oral tradition, and i studied it at school of course and all that. But I have no explanation behind my fixation. I can swear to try and write a paranormal romance between "Red" and the wolf of the them right crops up though. Just for you!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 01:50:38 AM »
Woohoo!! My pov-shifting skills will finally be appreciated instead of pathologized!!! If I can find time to write. The vodoo gone wrong story I've been wanting to write for ages features a mother with flashbacks of her life as a maiden being mentored by a crone... But that one is designed to stay firmly in a single POV. :( And the crone/maiden isn't center stage as the focus of the story is making sense of her current predicament so I'm not sure people will recognize the archetypes
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:52:54 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
Methinks a certain controversial post on the Writer's forum by Mr Mack brought this topic about :p.

Regarding the theme though, I'm probably overthinking this--or I'm just having a bit of a thicko moment--but can I clarify the specifics:

- Is this meant to be a story that just has two lead female characters and the triple goddess is the most convenient thing you found to personify that as a topic heading? Or are the archetypes of the maiden, mother, and crone a requirement, since those are very specific female caricatures, none of which feel like they fit into the dragon slaying princess mentioned later in the post.

- Also, presuming maiden = young girl yet to settle, and mother = midlife female settled with children, and crone = old woman close to death, I know you mentioned it in the post, but to clarify, the two characters in the story have to be of the different ages? Or can you have, say, two mums, or two grandmothers, or two schoolgirl friends experimenting...?

I obviously meant in scientific fields before minds start to wander into the ditch!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:18:41 AM by D_Bates »
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »
@xiagan, help!

The story must have at least 2 female main characters, and they must reflect the young girl/adult 'mother' woman/old woman picture.
Each character must be of different age.

You can have a 'dragon slaying princess with a child', for example.
Or an 'older dragon slaying princess' that is helped by a 'woman with children' she meets.

Expand your minds ;D

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »
Two school girls experimenting will only give you points if they experiment on a mother or crone ... in a scientific way of course. So no, not two of the same please.

It could have been simply "female POV/MC" or "maternity" but we didn't want such a broad topic this time and Maiden, Mother and Crone is properly mythological and more specific.

Bea is right, you can do two MCs with two POVs but since that's really hard it's only for advanced members of the contest  :P ;) ;D

The rules require MCs who are maiden, mother or crone but in no way need they be named that way. If you have a grandmother and a school girl who likes experimenting - go for it. 

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
Ah, okay. It was the 2 MC's that was scaring me, because yeah, that's ultra hard in a short where word count is a limit, since it's essentially trying to tell two story arcs side by side.

Okay, thanks for the clarifications. I think I have an idea now. Will muddle on!
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 04:16:13 AM »
@ScarletBea and @xiagan the 3 archetypes really fits my voodoo sorry in a Jungian sense but tonally might not be obviously recognizable to the reader. I think I'm going to try to write it this month but it may very well be another in thread story instead of a competition story. There's also domestic violence in it so it may be too heavy for mandatory reading in the contest thread-- I wouldn't want someone who might be triggered to feel obligated to read it. If I manage to finish it in time and under the word count by some miracle, could I PM it to one of you for your review to see if you think it belongs in the competition?

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
@ScarletBea and @xiagan the 3 archetypes really fits my voodoo sorry in a Jungian sense but tonally might not be obviously recognizable to the reader. I think I'm going to try to write it this month but it may very well be another in thread story instead of a competition story. There's also domestic violence in it so it may be too heavy for mandatory reading in the contest thread-- I wouldn't want someone who might be triggered to feel obligated to read it. If I manage to finish it in time and under the word count by some miracle, could I PM it to one of you for your review to see if you think it belongs in the competition?
Sure. :)