On Matters of Showmanship and Omens - NightWrite
0 (0%)
Wisdom of the Night - LightRunner
3 (14.3%)
signs of balance - m3mnoch
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: June 01, 2017, 08:45:18 AM

Author Topic: [Apr 2017] - Scavenger Hunt - Voting Thread  (Read 14053 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: [Apr 2017] - Scavenger Hunt - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
yay!  congrats, @Nora!  i used my one vote on your story!

i ended up not using the second vote because i couldn't decide who to give it to between @LightRunner, @Jmack's poem (i nearly voted for a poem!!), and the second of the anonymouses.  sorry about that, guys.  i just couldn't choose.  luckily, my dropped vote wouldn't have pushed anyone into the winner's circle.  i'd have felt really bad then.

heh.  that being said, i wonder how many times i've voted myself out of a first-place tie.  in the last two years i've been writing in here, i think i've only _not_ picked the eventual winner once or twice.  and pretty sure if i had a dime for each second-by-one-vote finish i've had, i could totally buy myself a stick of gum.  maybe two.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
Woohoo, congrats @Nora! I too though your story was interesting, particularly the emotional toll your protagonist's power took on them. Neat idea!

I voted for "A Tale of Omens", from Anonymous, and "Wisdom of the Night" by @LightRunner. In addition to being very well-written, I felt these two stories both did the best job of telling a complete story (inasmuch as you can do in 1500 words) and most closely matched the theme, and the interpretations of omens I most enjoyed.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »
And kudos from me to @Nora, as well!
I voted for Nora's and the second Anonymous. But I had a tough decision between one of those two and @m3mnoch's

Meanwhile, how did I get one vote at all, and an honorable mention from M3mnoch? I mean, really?
Still, I'm kind of tickled I did get one.
Whose funny bone did I tickle, hmm? Fess up.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »
Congrats, Nora! Didn't vote, but now I'll have to read them!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 11:10:11 PM »
I voted for Nora's and the second Anonymous. But I had a tough decision between one of those two and @m3mnoch's

Meanwhile, how did I get one vote at all, and an honorable mention from M3mnoch? I mean, really?

Honestly, I wanted to say this in a critique thread but might as well say so here : you would have had my vote (poem, GASP!) IF I had understood your poem. I didn't.  ;D Story wise I didn't manage to make sense of it, especially the end. If I could have, I might have voted for you because it was a cool bit, engaging, dynamic, and an interesting take on the omen.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 12:03:07 AM »

Honestly, I wanted to say this in a critique thread but might as well say so here : you would have had my vote (poem, GASP!) IF I had understood your poem. I didn't.  ;D Story wise I didn't manage to make sense of it, especially the end. If I could have, I might have voted for you because it was a cool bit, engaging, dynamic, and an interesting take on the omen.

;D the slurpee bit was recollected by me from one of your walks/bike rides home from waitressing, and someone threw a bottle at you, mixed with a running gag on the show Glee that I rarely watched.

So. Critique thread!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 03:42:33 AM »
Congratulations @Nora! I loved your story and it stood out to me by a significant margin. I voted halfway through the month, so at the moment I remember that I had a strong emotional response, but I'm not entirely sure why. Give me a little time and maybe I can get a critique done this weekend.

And...I am responsible for @Jmack's vote. I had a hard time picking a second entry, but I went with yours. To be perfectly honest, I can't think too hard about my votes or I'll never vote, but I liked how it pointed out the ridiculousness of so many of our superstitions and the person's joy at simply being alive. I also liked how you put a positive spin on omens, which is hard to do, given that the word has such a negative connotation.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Soulfinder
  • Scifi. Fantasy. Related shenanigans.
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »
Congratulations @Nora!
I was the single vote on the first Anonymous story ( :'( it was my favourite) - can you please tell me who you are (either here or on PM)?

...that would have been me, @ScarletBea.
I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why.

http://mikebrooks.co.uk

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
Oh yay, congrats from me Mike, I really enjoyed it :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
Congrats, @Nora !

@LightRunner got my vote too.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 09:40:28 PM »
Congratulations @Nora and to @m3mnoch who got second place and my second vote.