On Matters of Showmanship and Omens - NightWrite
0 (0%)
Wisdom of the Night - LightRunner
3 (14.3%)
signs of balance - m3mnoch
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: June 01, 2017, 08:45:18 AM

Author Topic: [Apr 2017] - Scavenger Hunt - Voting Thread  (Read 1139 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
[Apr 2017] - Scavenger Hunt - Voting Thread
« on: May 03, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »
It's time to vote on April's Writing Contest: Scavenger Hunt Omens! ;)

We got 9 entries this month - thanks to all who participated!

Please read through all of the entries in the submission thread and place your votes for your two favourite entries in this thread. You won't be able to see the vote breakdown until the vote closes, so spread the word for others to come and vote! We do ask that if you entered, to vote for someone else.

The key for the numbers of votes is this: 1-5 entries: 1 vote, 5-10 entries: 2 votes, 11-15 entries: 3 votes, 16-19: 4 votes, 20-25: 5 votes, 26+: 6 votes

Remember that the winning entry will be posted on the main Fantasy-Faction site in a few months.

Good luck to all our entrants and thank you for taking the time to read the stories and vote! :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Apr 2017] - Scavenger Hunt - Voting Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
So few stories! I'm quite surprised, I thought Omens would be pretty easy to write to.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
hrm.  i have to run into the office right now, but i should swap all the beginning parts of the ebook over to the *actual* omens theme soon.

===========================================================
kindle mobi:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/scavenger-hunt-noauthor.mobi
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/scavenger-hunt.mobi

generic epub:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/scavenger-hunt-noauthor.epub
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/scavenger-hunt.epub

word document:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/scavenger-hunt-noauthor.docx
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/scavenger-hunt.docx

critique sheet:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/critiques-scavenger-hunt.md

NOTE: Files with '-noauthor' appended only have the author
names listed at the beginning, on the table of contents.
===========================================================

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:57:52 PM »
Voted!
Even with so few stories, I still had the darndest time choosing.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 02:35:40 AM »
Voted. Everyone deserves high-five and congratulation because of the hunt to find the theme, that was hard. ;D ;D
"You have to have an open mind, but not so open that your brain leaks out."    Australian Chief Scientist Alan Finkel replying to persistent science denying Senator.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
Huh. It's a pretty strong cliche that periods come to you one morning like a floodgate opening, but in truth all the women I spoke to had a similar experience to mine, with the smallest hints of blood showing up before months of chaos for your system to put itself in order.
I didn't have periods worthy of the line "feeling wet between your legs" for the first two years. It's common knowledge for women that you take at least a year or two to get stabilized, and menarche are most often very brief and weak. You might not even notice it if you don't get too bad cramps. And yet you keep seeing such references.
It's not a critique at all, especially since I liked the story LightRunner's story, but I find it amusing. I wish now I could compare instances of menarche in SFF as written by men and by women, see if it's an unknowing guy's thing, or just a sort of hyperbolic description of periods overall.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:57 AM »
@Nora - Your comments make complete sense to me and I appreciate your pointing out a bit of reality. I don't want to defend the story too much, but I do think it's reasonable to argue that the goddess had been suppressing Tara's menstruation for some time, resulting in a relatively intense period and (relatedly) an extended vision.

I haven't given much thought to depictions of menarche in SFF; the few instances I can think of (especially of young girls starting to menstruate) stand out to me just because they seem very rare.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:20:37 AM by LightRunner »

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »
They tend to be an issue to characters whose doom depends on 'becoming a woman'. Like Ayla in Earth Children, who is isolated during her "moon time". Doesn't Sansa Stark wake up with lots of blood on her sheets, and is horrified as she becomes marriageable to Geoffrey?
Technically your goddess can do what she wants, since she's a god. But it'd be logical to delay the development of the periods, and letting menarche happen (leading to unimpressive first periods) rather than spending a few years magically draining her uterus on an almost monthly basis, so that her body gets used to building the uteran walls but doesn't get through the (actual) pain of shedding them. Cycles come with some signs, if her body was stable enough to have full on periods (albeit magically suppressed) then she'd have physically changed in the meantime.
For fantastical purposes this all fine of courseā€”I really don't mind, I can easily believe some girl having a flood for her first periods. Especially find can believe in omens at the same time.
Especially since this can be a special, favoured people whose bodies function in some different way due to the Goddess' influence.
I was just wondering if it's an anchored cliche or what...  :P
You made me want to go and re-read the books where I think it happened.

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
I agree with you - I should have found better words to describe Tara's realization that she had started her period.

The two examples I can think of are YA - Alanna in Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness quartet and Maerad in Alison Croggon's Pellinor series. Alanna's experience is similar to the cliche (I'd believe it's a cliche without too much evidence) you're describing, since she's cross-dressing and it's becoming more difficult to hide the fact that she is a girl, but Maerad's is not. It's been a while since I read either of those books, but I think it was handled very well in the case of Maerad. I don't think there's a flood or anything like that; she starts out as an underfed slave girl, so her period is delayed and when she does get it, she has cramps and the whole thing is annoying to deal with when traveling cross-country, as one tends to do in a fantasy novel.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:12 PM »
As I said, it was fine. Especially because you didn't go and make it gory. You limited yourself to the one word that makes it sound like she can feel it. Which is perfect in the pitch of the story. Nowhere do you go and elaborate that she ran for the toilet but ruined 25m of carpeting with a bloodshed!  ;D

But to go on with the cliched part :

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah, there is no way that menarche could be this gory. The book extract doesn't make it sound like such a large stain, but blood touched the cover as well (how?? Did she twist it in her legs while sleeping? That's the one thing you can't really stain...), and way down the mattress, and as she tries to hide evidence and is taken away she starts bleeding again.
So, unrealistic but very effective, dramatically. It works fine for Sansa's situation and twists her character in a dark place.
Funily enough as I started googling around for examples of periods mentioned in stories and how they affect characters, instead of finding women finger pointing the lack of realism in menarche, I found a lot of women complaining that periods seem to never be mentioned, and that it should be more present, especially in YA.
 ::)

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
It's mid month, I'll start reading :)
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »
Voted. Not a very happy camper with my choice, as I chose to select only one since most of the other stories were too tied to stand out for me, but I do really like the one I picked. I don't usually select less though...  :-\
Not sure I've picked the most popular one either. It'll be a tough month, I think.

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
Only six people have voted so far. So in case you haven't any plans for the weekend... ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
I've been lazy... still 3 stories to read ::)

Edit: voted!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:57:10 AM by ScarletBea »

Online ScarletBea

• Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
LAST DAY TO VOTE!!!!

Come on.... you can do it!

There's a tie at the top, you know...

Tags: