August 24, 2019, 09:15:13 AM

Author Topic: [Apr 2017] - Scavenger Hunt - Discussion Thread  (Read 24203 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Apr 2017] - Scavenger Hunt - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:25 PM »
I've never ever tried my hand at it...
Here's your chance ;D

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeh....
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline asphodel

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 03:40:14 AM »
Oh. I was getting all jazzed up with an idea about hunting scavengers that I almost missed the bait and switch.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
Oh. I was getting all jazzed up with an idea about hunting scavengers that I almost missed the bait and switch.
You're new, so you don't know, but the April theme is NEVER what it says on the initial post - since it goes up on April Fool's Day, we try to give it a little twist :D

Mind you, even those who've been here for a number of years fall for it, hehe ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »
All I wanted to say was that I found the best story trope ever on the topic of omens, but I just know it's the sort of stuff Rukaio could pull off best.. You know, the story of a guy who can receive omens from the gods, but can't be arsed making a job out of it, so he gets messages everywhere : empties a can of noodles and they form words like "death is coming", he sighs and eats and goes to take a shower and there his log hair on the shower wall form the word "listen!". He goes to work and spills coffee and the stain goes "oi", etc, with the deities getting more and more fed up as the guy does his best to ignore the messages.
I just don't think I'm able to write anything comedic really. I know it's an art in itself and I've never ever tried my hand at it...

This reminds me of a story idea I had years ago. A fellow is at the beach and finds a message in a bottle from an imprisoned princess. He laughs and tosses it back in. Later, he's at a public swimming pool, and the bottle pops up again. Same bottle, same message, but also "save me!" scrawled at the top. He's thinking, which of my friends is screwing with me? But then he's in the tub, and the damned thing surfaces again, right next to his rubber ducky.

The whole thing never went farther than that.   ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »
Mind you, even those who've been here for a number of years fall for it, hehe ;D
I didn't almost break down crying last year with the "this is the last contest" prank. Nope ;).

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
Should be a great month, since there are many, many ways to include the theme. I've found that superstition is rampant in a lot of people, maybe even most people.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »
Has anyone read our first (and only) submission, to see if they got the right theme or used the fake one? ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 06:20:37 AM »

The real theme is intriguing, but I kind of want to write something to the fake theme just b/c. >:)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »
Has anyone read our first (and only) submission, to see if they got the right theme or used the fake one? ;D

Read it. It's quite good.
And on the real theme.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
The real theme is intriguing, but I kind of want to write something to the fake theme just b/c. >:)
You're not the only one. My current idea has a touch of both themes to it and it seems to be working.

I'm not sure what would happen if someone wrote a store based solely in the false theme though. At most I'm guessing they wouldn't get many, or any, votes.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 12:40:37 AM »
Ok, I was just doing a trial run on japanese in the forum, and it doesn't show up, never mind.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2017, 03:10:23 AM »
DAMN.

So this month I decided to push myself and actually follow the humoristic plot I've outlined, with a poor MC who receives unwanted omens all the time. Starts ok, though it's obviously the kind of jokes that would be better drawn than written, but 800 words in and I find myself in the middle of writing the most depressive over-thinking-in-the-shower scene ever.
It's like the funny part of my brain who likes jokes leaves for the high sea the moment I start writing, leaving me only with the ghost ship of despair too fucked up to leave harbour! Gyaaah...

I do have a terrible level of cynicism though, the other day I had a come back so sharp leaving my mouth before I could bite it down, I was pretty appalled, and the two friends who heard my quip where more gasping for air than laughing.
Maybe humour is something I can only consume, not create for others...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:12:49 AM by Nora »

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »

Maybe Hannibal ate that part of your brain...

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
i've just nailed down a final idea, i think.  goodness.  all month, i have been molting off crappy ones like a damn garter snake shedding his skin.  work it, work it, work it . . . and, it's garbage.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 04:22:23 PM »
Hah. I feel you, I was the same last month, and I pretty much just dumped my attempt at making humour for this month. 900 words pretty much to the bin. *sigh*
I also think I have an idea, but it's also way out of my range.
Bring it on m3m.