Wire in my Soul - Corvus
1 (2.2%)
Four years, six months, and three days after surfacing - ArcaneArtsVelho
2 (4.3%)
The Feline Supremacy - Lanko
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 01, 2016, 06:33:11 PM

Author Topic: [Apr 2016] - The Last Contest - Voting Thread  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: [Apr 2016] - The Last Contest - Voting Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2016, 07:45:09 PM »
Gratz, @tebakutis! I voted for you, Sugoi and Peat.

I also really want to know who were the two people who voted for my silly story about nazi cats  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »
Hey, Eric, is that two months in a row?! Wow. And quite the strong win. Many, many congrats.

I voted for @Nora - my favorite story of the month; and @Peat - good stuff.
Hey, @Rukaio_Alter, someone is sneaking up on you us.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »
I also really want to know who were the two people who voted for my silly story about nazi cats  ::)
You have to ask?  ;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »
Congrats! A week ago your story was one vote before the next two entries but then everybody and their cat voted for you. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Peat

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2016, 09:16:29 PM »
Congrats! A week ago your story was one vote before the next two entries but then everybody and their cat voted for you. :)

Did Lanko's Nazi cats vote for him?  :o

Anyway, third place on my first go! I'll take that. Thanks to everyone who voted for my poor bastard :D

And I voted for Jmack, SugoiMe and ArcaneArtsVelho.

Here's to next month.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2016, 02:25:41 AM »
Woah! Second place! Nice!

Thank you people, I'm flattered that so many voted for my present tense, first person piece.

But bravo @tebakutis, 4 votes is a great break for a front runner, and you deserve it. I voted for you, and for @Jmack and @OnlyOneHighlander who was my favourite again.

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2016, 02:57:28 AM »
Congratulations on a great story @tebakutis, you didn't get my vote this time but I enjoyed your realistic dystopia but liked that it had a hopeful ending.

For the same reason of hope to come, with unusual emotion based magic and an interesting detailed story, I voted for @SugoiMe.

@ArcaneArtsVelho got a vote for a sad dystopian story giving the hunted scariness all around, but again maybe a tinge of hope judging from the first sentence, and good feelings remembered. I loved the poster being that memory and giving brief pleasure.

Then @Nora, you well earned a vote for a superbly planned while very grim dystopia, with clever characters, all  interesting and detailed enough to be believable. A perfect grim ending; no hope in Nora's world but good reading.

So many great stories, never enough votes. Very happy with @m3mnoch's files to keep, I sometimes re-read a whole month, just because. :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:59:24 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2016, 03:09:47 AM »
Thanks a lot Lady_Ty! But rest assured my little world is not a Dystopia for everyone. Arnas himself owns most of the area through his company and lives pleasantly enough. My own nameless character has a perfect body and though she is quite bored with her current mission, she thinks the deal is worth it, and is a cold enough chick to not be that affected by the horrors around her.  :P

As for near votes, I should have mentioned Henry Dale, whose story I really liked, but couldn't vote for given that I felt compelled by other stories, just as good but more on point...
And Mr J. too! Debated voting for you, really liked the ambiguity that went throughout your world, but the end wasn't extremely clear, and I'd say that to fit the theme, we'd have to more explicitly know that this area, these towers, are all they have, the only places left for them. I guess it focused mostly on the action at hand, and while the despair and manipulation was clear, the state of the wider world, and place of this community in it was less clear. But good work still!   ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
Thanks a lot Lady_Ty! But rest assured my little world is not a Dystopia for everyone. Arnas himself owns most of the area through his company and lives pleasantly enough. My own nameless character has a perfect body and though she is quite bored with her current mission, she thinks the deal is worth it, and is a cold enough chick to not be that affected by the horrors around her.  :P

As for near votes, I should have mentioned Henry Dale, whose story I really liked, but couldn't vote for given that I felt compelled by other stories, just as good but more on point...
And Mr J. too! Debated voting for you, really liked the ambiguity that went throughout your world, but the end wasn't extremely clear, and I'd say that to fit the theme, we'd have to more explicitly know that this area, these towers, are all they have, the only places left for them. I guess it focused mostly on the action at hand, and while the despair and manipulation was clear, the state of the wider world, and place of this community in it was less clear. But good work still!   ;D
Yay! Thank you Nora!  ;D

I crapped it out in about 45 minutes and left it at that, content with my casual ripping off of J.G.Ballard.

I'm a massive dick for not reading these monthly submissions...

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2016, 10:50:48 AM »

Thanks @Nora. Breaking my head over where to critique yours atm but I might need a couple of rereads for that :p

I do wonder who was dastardly enough to give me a vote though? ???

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
Congrats tebakutis, Nora and Peat! Tebakutis, you sure cleaned house. Kind of expected it because your writing was flawless. Nora, yours was very well done, too. I voted for both of you and Rukaio.

Huge thanks to @Lanko, @Peat and @Lady_Ty for the votes! The idea was big enough that I wanted to turn it into a novel.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2016, 11:46:34 PM »
Congrats tebakutis, Nora and Peat! Tebakutis, you sure cleaned house. Kind of expected it because your writing was flawless. Nora, yours was very well done, too. I voted for both of you and Rukaio.

Huge thanks to @Lanko, @Peat and @Lady_Ty for the votes! The idea was big enough that I wanted to turn it into a novel.
Sugoime, I think you should, it has the potential for uch more.  ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic