November 16, 2018, 06:40:05 PM

Author Topic: [Apr 2016] - The Last Contest - Discussion Thread  (Read 15943 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: [Apr 2016] - The Last Contest - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 02:52:25 AM »
I was about to freak out. I just got here and what? I really was about to get upset, waiting for this one because I couldn't come up with an idea for the last one. You got me. Time to start brainstorming!

It's great to have new members for the writing contest!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 09:13:06 AM »
I'm actually struggling to come up with an idea... It's a broad topic, where you could go biopunk, cyberpunk, steampunk, post apocalyptic, anything so long as it's bad and in the future.

So here you go @Eclipse, found you a poe based one to tune up to my standards :

:D

It's good to see the balance restored in the world  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
Nearing the end of my entry now and I feel it has strayed a bit far from the subject. Maybe if you bend your mind a bit, you can say it's somehow very negative/distopian. Oh, and it's totally not scifi or fantasy...
Maybe I need to review my entry/have it reviewed before I actually enter :P

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
Nearing the end of my entry now and I feel it has strayed a bit far from the subject. Maybe if you bend your mind a bit, you can say it's somehow very negative/distopian. Oh, and it's totally not scifi or fantasy...
Maybe I need to review my entry/have it reviewed before I actually enter :P
Yes, maybe ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 09:34:41 AM »
Well, this contest isn't only SF/F is it? We often submit things that are more under the realm of the wider "speculative fiction", no?
I mean, nightmare for example had stories that were fantasy (like the first one) and other purely speculative, like my own...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Apr 2016] - The Last Contest - Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
The division into (sub)genres is helpful for marketing and for recommendations, but never for writers.
So if the contest theme isn't specifically a genre (SF, grimdark, ...), you are free to write what your inspiration makes you write. If it is way too far away from F/SF, the voters will let you know. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
The division into (sub)genres is helpful for marketing and for recommendations, but never for writers.
So if the contest theme isn't specifically a genre (SF, grimdark, ...), you are free to write what your inspiration makes you write. If it is way too far away from F/SF, the voters will let you know. ;)

Awesomesauce, going for the finish line in that case.

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »
Double post, but hey *cheers* I'm in.
It's a hell weird depressing story but I like standing out from the crowd ::)

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 03:10:05 AM »
Having a hard time making my idea seem dystopian instead of post apocalyptic. It seems like the two are so similar to one another that it comes out all wrong.

Anyone else having this issue?

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:15 AM »
That's normal I think. Dystopian is a bad form of society. So it can be many things. It can be cyberpunk, biopunk (what I'm going for), post-apocalyptic, or pure speculative fiction... So long as you give a view of how society works and is bad, you should be in the theme. At least as far as I understand it. 
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 03:22:59 AM »
That makes sense. I was under the assumption that to be dystopian the society was supposed to be bad  because of  pollution or government  involvement.

My idea has a bad society but it is distinctly lacking much society at all if that makes sense.  So it seems like I some natural  disaster caused an apocalypse because I can't figure out a reason for society to be awful. The story just  says it is awful and doesn't elaborate as to why.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:19 AM »
You could give inner examples.

In various Dystopian books, society is bad in more or less subtle ways : reading is forbidden, having children is forbidden, any human or animal or plant that doesn't fit the perfect image is to be killed without reproducing (that's an anti-mutant solution in a post nuclear apocalypse book), in brave new world the image of the family is seen as repulsive, kids are grown in factories, and people are drugged up for happiness, in soylent green,
Spoiler for Hiden:
people are so over packed the MC walks over dozen of them living on his appartment's stairs to get home, and the food they're fed by gvt is made out of people, dead of whatever cause but also harvested during the frenzies that occur during Soylent distrubtion
I reckon you can just pick a couple of things you think are nasty and weave them in your story?

If you don't have much of a society, it could be a return to brutal tribalism with the tough guys taking power and enforcing some nasty rules?

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 03:59:19 AM »
If you don't have much of a society, it could be a return to brutal tribalism with the tough guys taking power and enforcing some nasty rules?

That is pretty much what im going for....depending on if I go with an action scene or not. It just gives me an end of the world feeling. But Ill just go with it and let everyone else decide if it fits their idea of dystopia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 04:17:45 AM »

That is pretty much what im going for....depending on if I go with an action scene or not. It just gives me an end of the world feeling. But Ill just go with it and let everyone else decide if it fits their idea of dystopia.
That's the game isn't it?  :D

I'm listening to Ghost In The Shell's OST as I write, and it puts me in the best writing mood, I might be done by today. My world is very much akin to it too, cyborg heavy.

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »
Well my submission is in the works now and im afraid it is going to grow In to a much larger work.
As though I need more half baked projects  :-[