Innocence Lost by Saraband
4 (5.4%)
The Race by Raptori and Saurus
2 (2.7%)
The Skinner by ArcaneArtsVelho
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: June 01, 2015, 06:41:03 PM

Author Topic: [Apr 2015] - Plot twists - Voting Thread  (Read 14780 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: [Apr 2015] - Plot twists - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
Late with the congrats, God Emperor @Rukaio Alter, but very impressed. I loved your story, but Oggs would have sent you to bed with no dinner for that extremely unoriginal twist.  ;) You got my vote for sheer audacity and wonderful humour. ;D  ;D

@Elfy that was pretty dark from you but I enjoyed it very much and really appreciated that clever little extra twist whereby you brought The Brothers Grimm into their own tale - loved that.  Plot Bunny did good. :D

@Jmack and @Nora - both so very dark and both so terrifyingly clever with terrible twists. I generally avoid horror for horror's sake fiction, but your stories were anything but that. What lurked behind both came through strong and clear and I am so impressed. Thanks, both of you.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
Elfy that was pretty dark from you but I enjoyed it very much and really appreciated that clever little extra twist whereby you brought The Brothers Grimm into their own tale - loved that.  Plot Bunny did good. :D

:-[ I'm afraid that Jmack had to explain that one to me - in my defence I have to say that my copy of the full Grimm stories doesn't mention their first names, it only has "Brothers Grimm" on the cover.

And another :-[, I still don't know what Raptori/Saurus's twist was, it just looks like a really great dragon story with no twist.

Sorry both/three people!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
@Elfy that was pretty dark from you but I enjoyed it very much and really appreciated that clever little extra twist whereby you brought The Brothers Grimm into their own tale - loved that.  Plot Bunny did good. :D

aah, so you're the one encouraging her with praise!  She's been quite unbearable the last few nights (kept me up til all hours writing stuff & distracting me at work  ;D)
Elfy's much more accomodating of her... (that's why he posts so much more than I do in the writing contests)
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:06 AM »
Elfy that was pretty dark from you but I enjoyed it very much and really appreciated that clever little extra twist whereby you brought The Brothers Grimm into their own tale - loved that.  Plot Bunny did good. :D

:-[ I'm afraid that Jmack had to explain that one to me - in my defence I have to say that my copy of the full Grimm stories doesn't mention their first names, it only has "Brothers Grimm" on the cover.

And another :-[, I still don't know what Raptori/Saurus's twist was, it just looks like a really great dragon story with no twist.

The twist is we're to think the dragons are flying through the sky, when in fact they're swimming through water. Then they leap into the sky to attack the fishing ship that's hunting them. I loved it!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »
Whoaaaa.... 3rd equal with Jmack and Carter? I did not see that one coming. Thanks everyone for your votes! I'm glad the horror didn't put y'all off!

I'm happy for Rukaio and D_Bates. It's good work! David's story was definitely a quality twist. Votes for you two and Jmack's and Raptori's.
I'm rather surprised though at Saurus and Raptori's result, to me it was the biggest surprise as a twist, but I can also see how it could be hard to capture everyone's interest with a race!

Anyway, shall have fun with critics today! Will we have a critic thread?
I'm not surprised really, ours was kinda rushed so there's probably quite a bit wrong with it.  :P

And another :-[ , I still don't know what Raptori/Saurus's twist was, it just looks like a really great dragon story with no twist.

What @Jmack said. Wasn't very obvious though I guess...  :-[
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
No, no need to apologise.
I think I shouldn't have read some of them when I did, maybe it was affected by illness-wacky brain :)

It was a great story, and at first it reminded me of the race in Star Wars I ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »
No, no need to apologise.
I think I shouldn't have read some of them when I did, maybe it was affected by illness-wacky brain :)

It was a great story, and at first it reminded me of the race in Star Wars I ;D
Yeah, that Star Wars scene and a section of one of the Ketty Jay books (a fighter plane race) were in mind while we were writing it, I guess it's pretty understandable for that to come across so strongly.  Good that you enjoyed it even without the twist, I guess!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.