November 24, 2020, 09:07:31 AM

Author Topic: [Apr 2015] - Plot Twist! Werewolf, Vampire, Goat - Discussion Thread  (Read 47413 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [Apr 2015] - Plot Twist! Werewolf, Vampire, Goat - Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2015, 04:02:45 AM »
I believe the record is 17, set with the Rogues challenge in March. If Atku's entry has been removed then that's out, and we only have 15. Why wasn't it valid? Did it not make word count? There's nothing that says someone can't enter two stories for any given month. So long as they're clearly different stories.

There is a misunderstanding. By Atku's stories I was only thinking of his one liner "caught you watching" because it's all I ever saw in the submission thread. I didn't know there had been a full story.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2015, 04:40:26 AM »
I believe the record is 17, set with the Rogues challenge in March. If Atku's entry has been removed then that's out, and we only have 15. Why wasn't it valid? Did it not make word count? There's nothing that says someone can't enter two stories for any given month. So long as they're clearly different stories.

There is a misunderstanding. By Atku's stories I was only thinking of his one liner "caught you watching" because it's all I ever saw in the submission thread. I didn't know there had been a full story.
Sorry Nora. There was originally a full story in there, but obviously Jmack thought it was a bit much to have a joke story in there, so removed it. Shame, because for a joke it wasn't a bad story.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2015, 06:29:36 AM »
I think the problem would be that people'd be biased to vote for Atku cuz of the joke rather than the actual quality of the story. Or they'd at least be influenced by it.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2015, 06:36:35 AM »
I think the problem would be that people'd be biased to vote for Atku cuz of the joke rather than the actual quality of the story. Or they'd at least be influenced by it.
That's possibly another good reason for anonymous submissions.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2015, 07:05:12 AM »
That's possibly another good reason for anonymous submissions.

I'd say the opposite. Aktu's submission wouldn't be that funny because it would be anonymous, missing the point of even creating the new profile.
I'd vote against multiple submissions. It'd be unfair to both slow writers and voters, giving way more weight to whoever could pull 2 or 3 stories in the month and multiplying the amount of things to read to unmanageable amounts.
Multiple submissions, non-anonymous, could be a thing I guess if the theme ever was "flash fiction" allowing the same person to publish one to three 500 words max story, in series or independently. So that the final amount of material would stay manageable.
I honestly believe that multiple submission would lessen the quality of publications, even if anonymous. I mean, some might pull it off, but I myself spent a long time polishing my last story, and trying to fit two in the month certainly would have degraded the final quality.

All of that being my humble opinion.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
I really hope people don't start getting all complicated with the Monthly Writing Contest, ending up ruining it.

I think it has worked fine, and we almost always get a different winner each month which is great. I don't think there would be any problem with considering Atku's submission, as there are no rules (I think?) against multiple submissions. Joke or not, it took @Jmack's time and effort to come up with it, so it should be equally considered if he wants  :)

Meanwhile, I'm very curious to see next month's theme  ;D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »
Funny, I always assumed you'd only be allowed one submission per month. A couple of times we had two ideas that were pretty much equally good, would've written them both if we had thought it was allowed. Not sure if it's a good idea really, one submission per person feels a lot fairer to me.  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
One submission makes sense. I could see myself getting carried away with a case of the "ooo..ooo...what about..?"s if I could do more. Equally, one of the reasons I've posted to this forum's comps and pretty much nowhere else, is the relaxed attitude. I think a gag entry now and then is fine, surely no one takes it too seriously?
I more worried about the spread of Goat fever. There seems to be an awful lot of goat related stuff in people's profile summaries. Perhaps we need to hire a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra to have a cull?
I mean, @Atku can't win if he's lying bloodless and drained in a Puertorican field now can he?

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Funny, I always assumed you'd only be allowed one submission per month. A couple of times we had two ideas that were pretty much equally good, would've written them both if we had thought it was allowed. Not sure if it's a good idea really, one submission per person feels a lot fairer to me.  :-\

I think one submission per person is excellent, but then it should be made clear in the rules :) Then it will be settled for future months!

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »
And out of this lovely Atku mess, that should be the one and only tweak: one story per RW member per month. Let's let everything else stay as it is, because... i think it's working. We only have to look at the number and quality of sips missions to see that.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
And out of this lovely Atku mess, that should be the one and only tweak: one story per RW member per month. Let's let everything else stay as it is, because... i think it's working. We only have to look at the number and quality of sips missions to see that.

It was hardly a mess, no need to feel bad! ;) It only brought up some different perspectives and allowed us to debate some of the details of the contest, nothing else!

Having said that, who knew goats could cause such a fuss in an online fantasy forum?  ;D

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »

It was hardly a mess, no need to feel bad! ;) It only brought up some different perspectives and allowed us to debate some of the details of the contest, nothing else!

Having said that, who knew goats could cause such a fuss in an online fantasy forum?  ;D
And there's so much more a goat could do too....  ;D.   Just give him time.   8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »
I think that jokes are funny ( :o ) and should be allowed to a certain extent.  ;D

As for the multiple submissions part... I think a few "extra" submissions in a month would be okay, but if the amount of entries started to grow too high (let's say two- or threefold), at least I would be hard pressed to read them all and vote. And I wouldn't vote if i had only skimmed them through. So I think that the only working (and fair) solution would be to limit the submissions to one per RW member (right-wing member?  ;) :P ) as Jmack put it.

For me it's difficult to get even one entry done in a month, or so it would seem: I still need to write a few hundred words for my story, and then spend a few hours molding it into an acceptable form. Cutting it close? That's what I do.  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
So I think that the only working (and fair) solution would be to limit the submissions to one per RW member (right-wing member?  ;) :P ) as Jmack put it.
But that would only allow stories from @Chillie Con Carne, right?  ;)
Hardly seems fair to the more enlightened among us.  :(  ;D
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »
So I think that the only working (and fair) solution would be to limit the submissions to one per RW member (right-wing member?  ;) :P ) as Jmack put it.
But that would only allow stories from @Chillie Con Carne, right?  ;)
Hardly seems fair to the more enlightened among us.  :( ;D
Do I even dare to push the like button? I don't think I should.  :-\

Spoiler for Hiden:
Who am I kidding... [Watches as the like button slides.]  ;D
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.