August 22, 2019, 01:54:35 AM

Author Topic: [Apr 2015] - Plot Twist! Werewolf, Vampire, Goat - Discussion Thread  (Read 39443 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times

A vampire, a werewolf and a girl. An easy formula for hundreds of bestsellers.
Most of them are novel length, though. Does that mean that it's not possible to write a good paranormal romance in short story format?
Of course not! And it's your job to prove it. A good love triangle doesn't need hundreds of pages. I have the feeling that 1500 words may just be enough. ;)

This month I want you to write a story about a romance containing a werewolf, a vampire and a girl. (The girl doesn't necessary have to be the love interest.)

Rules:

1. This can be prose or a poem.
2. Must be about a girl, a vampire and a werewolf.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
5. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
6. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
7. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
8. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
9. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol:

Entry will close May 1st 2015 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:56:31 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: [Apr 2015] - Werewolf, Vampire, Girl - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »
April fools! Plot twists and/or surprising endings it is! :D

This often is a specialty of short stories and you find them there more often than in other forms of writing.
It's about time for you to try to write one. ;)
The most famous examples I can think of aren't in literature, though.
I guess most of you have seen one or more of M. Night Shyamalan's movies: The Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs, The Happening or She's All That are perfect examples of a cool plot twist - usually in the end of the story/movie.

So this month I want you to write a story containing one (or more, but too many will make the reader feel like riding a roller coaster and not everybody likes them ;)) plot twists and/or a surprising ending.

Instead of an inspiring picture you get one of my own short stories, self-pubbed in an anthology called "Fictional Times - a Fabulous Anthology of Wondrous Stories" a few years ago. [/end shameless plug]

Spoiler for Hiden:
Last one standing

I am the last one of a dying race.
I don't know why I'm writing this down, since nobody will ever read it, but it keeps me occupied and I have to talk to somebody – even if it's my diary.
I'm old. Really old. If you think about it, somebody has to be the last one alive. I don't know why it had to be me, but that only adds to all the other things I don't know, so it's not bothering me much. I always knew that our own stupidity and not some meteors, or big earthquakes would erase us from this planet but I'm surprised about the way it happened. There were so many possibilities: Nuclear war, self-inflicted climate change, lab-made viruses... I'm sure there were even more dangers we brought upon ourselves, but I'm no scientist, not even a learned man, and everyone I could ask is dead.
What happened is quite simple. Since math was always a favorite of mine, I’d like to see it as an easy arithmetic: Take some businessmen who want to make a lot of money, add some mad scientists, subtract their conscience and multiply it with bad luck and quite some 'Oops, we didn't take that into account'. Done!
There's a simple plant with astonishing features: Bitterweed, a.k.a. Ambrosia artemisiifolia. I mentioned above that I'm not a learned man and I stand to that. But since you could say that this yellow-blossomed plant was our nemesis and our doom, everything concerning this plant is absolute basic knowledge. Anyways, back to my story. Once the earth got warmer, it spread like wildfire. And one single plant can release up to one billion pollen. That was a problem back then, because it was ultra allergen - six pollen per cubic meter air was enough to cause hay fever and Asthma and they flew hundreds of kilometers far. Sounds pretty frightening, eh? Of course science got it under control pretty fast, but once it did, no one bothered anymore to remove the plants. They soon were a common sight in most countries and only the yellow dust on the windows and roofs was annoying.
Now we take two scientists from our arithmetic above. They are, as mentioned, mad and without a conscience. One is a biologist and one a geneticist. Unfortunately they were employed at the worlds largest distributor of sperm (yeah, sounds pretty weird) and in vitro fertilization, a corporate group with sperm banks all over the world and as many clinics, which are specialized in IVF.
They already make a lot of money but apparently not enough. Every normally conceived child is costing them money, they think. And then they have their groundbreaking idea. Why not try to make mankind more dependent on our services? Sounds crazy, but that's what they did. They genetically modified that plant so that its pollen had a new property. You just had to inhale a few and they discharged to your upper respiratory tract, in addition to their normal psycho-active proteins, some others which made men, not all of them but enough, infertile.
It took us a few years to notice the slowly growing infertility and some more until the corporation's big secret leaked over the tubes. By then, it was too late. We already knew from plants like Corn or Rapeseed that it was impossible to protect normal plants from genetically modified plants and the new GMO Ambrosia spread over the world. Efforts were made to exterminate Ambrosia, but in vain.
What the mad scientists didn't take into account was their own storages running low after a while. Once it got out that fertile sperm was a limited resource, people panicked and what was left got destroyed in riots and wars.
And here I am. One of the last to hatch. Writing my story down and wondering if the next sentient and self-conscious beings on this planet will be wiser than we dinosaurs have been.

Rules:

1. This can be prose or a poem.
2. Must contain a plot twist and/or a surprising ending.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
5. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
6. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
7. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
8. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
9. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol:

Entry will close May 1st 2015 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:06:23 PM by xiagan »

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 04:05:46 PM »
How didn't I see that coming!!!!

I was already writing a reply to express my reluctance to write about the first theme.  ;D I would have written about it, but this is much better.

Good one, Xia.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:22:09 PM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
@xiagan is clearly an evil genius.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
Very much an evil genius!
I was thinking that when I'm close to getting my very special title of 'regular voter' (hint hint, reminder :D) I won't want to read any of those stories except to laugh at them :-[

Anyway - bad Xia, you made me laugh out loud in the office!!!
(I know - maybe I just shouldn't be here during work hours anyway, hehe)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
And here I was ready to pull out my old Twilight fanfic...

Nah, plot twists galore! Don't know how the hell I'm going to pull this one off in 1500 words, but I think I'll find a way.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:20:55 PM »
Don't know how the hell I'm going to pull this one off in 1500 words, but I think I'll find a way.
Pfff, I managed in less than 700 in the story above. ;)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
And here I was ready to pull out my old Twilight fanfic...

Nah, plot twists galore! Don't know how the hell I'm going to pull this one off in 1500 words, but I think I'll find a way.
Maybe you actually should post your Twilight fanfic and that's the twist.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
My 10 step story of membership to Fantasy Fiction so far:
- Joined about a week ago.
- Got hooked on this section and blitzed out a short story yesterday (which I really enjoyed doing)
- Refreshed forum all day with great anticipation of what WVG meant as April's topic.
- Read elaborated title 5 mins ago.
- Saw picture in the overscroll.
- Fumbled for the account details to learn how to unsubscribe.
- Decided before I was too hasty that I'd see if the topic was really that bad and whether I could stomach fixing Twilight.
- Concluded that I don't have that much time on this earth and went back to find that blasted unsub button.
- Noticed the word April Fools in the follow up post.
- Gave xiagan an internet thumbs up for legitimately making me laugh.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »
- Got hooked on this section and blitzed out a short story yesterday (which I really enjoyed doing)
- Refreshed forum all day with great anticipation of what WVG meant as April's topic.
- Decided before I was too hasty that I'd see if the topic was really that bad and whether I could stomach fixing Twilight.
- Concluded that I don't have that much time on this earth and went back to find that blasted unsub button.
It would've been sad for you to have left because of it - close one!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
Fun story, Xi.
But where were the werewolf, the vampire and the girl?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:23:14 PM »
Fun story, Xi.
Apparently dead, since the story was called Last One Standing. ;) Or undead? Mhm...

Haha, glad you didn't unsubscribe!  :D

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 08:38:32 PM »
Fun story, Xi.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The girl dinosaur is the offspring of werewolf and vampire bloodlines.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
@D_Bates: I strongly advised @xiagan to choose a really good picture at the top of this thread. If you think what we chose was bad, just be glad he didn't use his first choice:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:10:07 PM by Jmacyk »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »
Pssssst - it's a GINORMOUS photo! Could you please resize?
I can't even tell if it's bad or not... from the corner looks like a normal american cover ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams