September 17, 2019, 03:58:57 AM

Author Topic: Week 4 - The Wee Free Men Chapters 12 - 14  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Week 4 - The Wee Free Men Chapters 12 - 14
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
For me this is a novel about coming to terms with grief  - Granny never left Tiffany but lives on through her. A powerful message for any teenager coming to terms with the loss of a loved one.

Last week I asked what makes this novel a YA and for me it is because it is a  bilgunroman (the story of a character coming of age) but importantly it is not completed yet. The appearance of Nanny Ogg and Weatherwax makes it clear she still has a lot to learn (as well as being a squeal worthy cameo for long time Discworld readers).  I think it is also important that things aren't tied up nicely with a pretty bow and Tiffany sadly has to accept that Roland wrongly gets the credit.  Tiffany learns the importance of accepting small changes. (Much like we all had to as we grew up.)

I also want to draw attention to The Chalk as a character. Pratchett based it on his home of Wiltshire but could also stand in for numerous other places, for example it remind me of my own Kent downs. You can draw comparisons to other fantasy novels and think of Shire etc as a character in their books.  The land is part of her and she is part of the land.

So final thoughts? Favourite moments and characters? I especially enjoyed the characters stepping into the dreamscape of the Jolly Sailor Tobacco picture.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Week 4 - The Wee Free Men Chapters 12 - 14
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:31:57 PM »
Here was key thing for me:

The "violence" in this book was largely mental and emotional rather than physical. Aside from a trusty iron pan, Tiffany has no weapons except her Sight and her will. The queen has no weapons except her will and her lies. I found this quite wonderful, and it makes it all within the reach of a YA reader. It's lovely to read about Expelloramus! Or about Dyrnwyn the great sword, etc. But these aren't really in reach, while Sight and Will are fine and real aspirations.

Another comment on the last few chapters is how deftly PTerry shifts from serious to slapstick in mere moments and keeps ding it over and over. Somehow he can make the to work, when I suspect most anyone else would fall flat on their faces.

The scene where Tiffany conjures Granny (or however it is Thunder and Lightning and Granny arrive) was breathtaking.

A new addition to my favorite books.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
OK, a couple of passages/quotes I enjoyed

“The thing about witchcraft," said Mistress Weatherwax, "is that it's not like school at all. First you get the test, and then afterward you spend years findin' out how you passed it. It's a bit like life in that respect”
So true. In life you never really know if you did something right or wrong, you just keep going along and figuring out as you go if you are doing well or not.

And this, obviously a great message on grief and losing a loved one.
“Now I know why I never cried for granny”, she said. “She has never left me.”

Anyway, as said before by others, this is an excellent book for kids. I still wish I had read it with my boys instead of on my own just because I think they would have enjoyed it and its fun getting that fresh young reaction to things. I also don't typical respond well to slapstick or blatant humor (I'm no fun that way), but find seeing my kids laugh helps me. And I could tell this would make them laugh.

Tiffany sadly has to accept that Roland wrongly gets the credit. 

Another important life lesson.

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »
I realy liked how the queen mainly used lies and bad or seductive dreams as her choice of weapon. It happens to be one of the main "enemies" kids (and adults) have to fight. Also loved how Toffany overcame them.

I also thought that Wentworth's reaction to the Nac Mac Feegle was adorable. It made me smile every time.

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:46:39 PM »

For me this is a novel about coming to terms with grief  - Granny never left Tiffany but lives on through her.

I think it is also important that things aren't tied up nicely with a pretty bow and Tiffany sadly has to accept that Roland wrongly gets the credit. 

I especially enjoyed the characters stepping into the dreamscape of the Jolly Sailor Tobacco picture.

Yes. And Tiffany basically honours Granny by taking over her duty as watcher of the borders.

Did think that Roland getting the credit was a good choice.

And yes, the Jolly Sailor scene was my favourite!

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
Although I enjoyed the book, the ending was a bit... Confusing. Or at least the final fight was. First it was real, then it was a dream, then real again, then a dream, then everything's a dream... I feel like if I read it again I might understand that better, kind of like rewatching Inception. But still. For the simpletons like me, I wish there had been a simple explanation.
Chapter 12 was definitely my favorite of this week. As for the entire book, I think all my favorite parts happened close to the beginning, when the Nac Mac Feegle were first being introduced. And the dialogue with Miss Tick of course. Those were hilarious!
This is something I'll definitely be reading to my kids as they fall asleep... If I ever have any.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »
I really enjoyed this and will be keeping an eye out for the sequels.  :)

I thought Tiffany was a great character - definitely one that would have been an all time hero of mine if I'd read this as a child.

I loved the memories of Granny Aching - they really made her a key character in the story and helped us understand Tiffany. I think my favourite part was when she 'returned' to help Tiffany.  :)

The Wee Free Men were hilarious and adorable - are they in all the Tiffany Aching books?

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
The Wee Free Men were hilarious and adorable - are they in all the Tiffany Aching books?
They are. And they get even better.  :D

(more comments later...)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:53:10 PM »
Here is the blog I was telling you scunners about. Latest blog is a review of The Wee Free Men.

https://pratchettjob.wordpress.com/
The Real Powers That Be