August 24, 2019, 09:00:39 AM

Author Topic: The Wee Free Men - First Impressions  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
The Wee Free Men - First Impressions
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »
This is a thread for first impressions, a place to share your very initial thoughts when you sit down to read. This should be spoiler free. If there is something spoilerish you just really want to comment about right at the beginning, just be sure to use spoiler tags. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Free Men - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
The major difference between the YA Tiffany Aching books and the rest of the series is how much tighter plotted this is than a regular Discworld book where Sir Terry could often go on lengthy diversions (and it has chapters!)

And like a lot of the latter Discworld novels - it is a mix of the poignant and the comic (think an episode of Scrubs)  -  as you are reading think about how this novel is a comment on grief, and how it often hits you not at the time, but months or years later when you suddenly realise you need a lost one, and they are no longer there.   
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »
Sheep: "Just bags of bones, eyeballs, and teeth, lookin for new ways to die."

So yes.

Does anyone else feel as though Pratchett had to have grown up in the countryside on a sheep farm?
Or is channelling someone who did?
Or is a really good writer?
^This  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
Yes. The Chalk is based on Wiltshire where he grew up - where the soil is chalky and people breed sheep! It can also stand in for a lot of places such as my childhood home - the North Downs in Kent.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 12:58:40 AM »
It's a bit hard to remember my 'first impressions' as I read it first when it was published.  I can give you second, third, and fourth impressions though  ;)

I like Tiffany as a character very much, that she was a bit of a 'take-charge' girl, I suppose being the second-youngest of the family she's been left to her own devices and is quite self-sufficient.

I get a very strong sense of the countryside she lives in, and the observations/jokes about the stupidity of the sheep are always amusing.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline lorelclayton

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »
I have read this book about three times already, as it is one of my all time favorites for humor and wisdom. Looking at the first pages again, I remember why I fell in love with it. Tiffany's no nonsense approach to the thing in the water...and her willingness to be practical about her brother...is  what makes Tiffany one of my favorite characters.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
I've started it. Not much to say yet, but so far so good. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Jeni

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:47:29 PM »
Started this today  :)

Only read the first chapter so far but Im already amused and intrigued, so yay!  :D

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
The Wee Free Men - First Impressions
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
Just started yesterday.

It took a moment to get my mind into the more YA vibe, but I'm enjoying it so far. Liking Tiffany's quirky character.