August 22, 2019, 08:21:50 AM

Author Topic: The Wee Free Men - Week 1 Chapters 1 -3  (Read 6798 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Wee Free Men - Week 1 Chapters 1 -3
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »
Thanks for the sweet words Arry but really it was exhausting trying generate some prompts for discussion. Way prefer responding to starting the discussion. You can it back next month!

With your boys - I would recommend 'Only you can save Mankind' as their Pratchett gateway.  Absolutely adored that book as a tween and will definitely appeal to young boys as about video games.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 10:18:17 PM »
With your boys - I would recommend 'Only you can save Mankind' as their Pratchett gateway.  Absolutely adored that book as a tween and will definitely appeal to young boys as about video games.

I listened to Johnny and the Dead with my boys at some point, so they've been exposed to some Pratchett, and it is in that series you recommended. For some reason I always forget about this when people talk about Pratchett and I feel like I haven't read any. I actually had before now, just not Discworld.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Jeni

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 04:24:13 PM »
Finally nabbed some reading time and got stuck in!  ;D

Loving this book  ;D

I was pretty sure I would enjoy it before I picked it up because I've enjoyed all the Pratchett books I've read so far....but this is shaping up to be a favourite  :)

All the quotes that people have picked out so far are ones that jumped out at me too ... I also liked this one :

"And it didn't stop being magic just because you found out how it was done."

Loving the whole Headology is more practical, efficient and the preferred option to dealing with things than using magic concept. It really works well with what we are learning about Tiffany's character, the humorous writing style, and bodes well for an entertaining introduction to the Tiffany Aching books.

The Wee Free men are fun ... I'd be curious to find out if their Pictish (sorry if that's the wrong term)  dialect comes across as contrived as, say for eg, the olde mockney did in Mieville's King Rat, to someone familiar with it though.  :P

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »
The Wee Free men are fun ... I'd be curious to find out if their Pictish (sorry if that's the wrong term)  dialect comes across as contrived as, say for eg, the olde mockney did in Mieville's King Rat, to someone familiar with it though.  :P

It's more of a combo of traditional Doric (Aberdeenshire) and Glasgow Scots and doesn't read contrived at all actually. Some of my closest friends actually speak far broader Doric than the Feegles believe it or not!
Make Another World.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »

It's more of a combo of traditional Doric (Aberdeenshire) and Glasgow Scots and doesn't read contrived at all actually. Some of my closest friends actually speak far broader Doric than the Feegles believe it or not!

Thanks!  :D

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
The Wee Free Men - Week 1 Chapters 1 -3
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
I quite like the idea of headology. Will keep my eyes open for it throughout the rest of the book.

I agree that Tiffany is a strong character that doesn't back down for anything. It seems to me as if she is trying hard to follow in the footsteps of her grandmother. Asking herself what granny would do in a similar situation.

I am also quite curious about the Nac Mac Feegles. Think they will bring a lot of life to the story! I found that reading their dialogue out loud helped me a lot in understanding what they are saying.

I also took special note of the quotes mentioned above. I also liked the following two:

"The sories weren't real. But Mrs Snapperly had died because of stories."

and

"What they did was sell invisible things. And after they'd sold what they had, they still had it. They sold what everyone needed but often didn't want. They sold the key to the universe to people who didn't even know it was locked."

The last one is very much like a riddle.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:19:29 PM by Nino »