April 09, 2020, 06:41:11 PM

Author Topic: A Hat Full of Sky  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
A Hat Full of Sky
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:12:41 PM »
Who is continuing on? So Tiffany has had to leave home and be apprenticed off, a scary venture for any young teenager.  I like that despite defeating the Queen of Faerie she can still feel homesick.  I like the new Kelda, Jennie, as well.  Another young woman a long away from home being expected to grow up very quickly. While Tiffany and Jennie might never become best friends, I hope they can form a relationship of mutual respect and trust.

Miss Level and the ondageist are interesting concepts.  Interested to see how they develop.  And the Hiver is a sinister being - (though it is hilarious when we visit the unseen university and read the writings of a mad wizard who failed to control one.)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
Re: A Hat Full of Sky
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:36:33 PM »
Finished this quite quickly.  (Probably because it turned out I had read it before!) 

Being possessed by the Hiver has obvious metaphors with puberty or drunkenness (I am sure we can all relate to the toe curling embarrassment of having to confront the world the day after being a complete prat the day before.) 

Becoming very attached to Rob Anybody - was so touching when he accompanies Tiffany through the doorway to the world of the dead. (And glad to see Death back!)

Not sure how I feel about things being set up for a potential clash between Granny Weatherwax and Tiffany (but like the idea of her being the heir in waiting to Weatherwax.)   Like Prospero in the Tempest, is Weatherwax a stand in for Pratchett, and was he writing in respect to his own powers diminishing and having to pass the baton on? 

The Real Powers That Be

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »
Not reading your posts right now, @Nighteyes, but I did get the book on Kindle and will be trundling along after you soon. Should have bought the omnibus right from the start.  :'(
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »
I'm already in the middle of Wintersmith and still haven't posted in the Wee Free Men topics. Shame on me. :(

Not sure how I feel about things being set up for a potential clash between Granny Weatherwax and Tiffany (but like the idea of her being the heir in waiting to Weatherwax.)   Like Prospero in the Tempest, is Weatherwax a stand in for Pratchett, and was he writing in respect to his own powers diminishing and having to pass the baton on?

What do you mean? His daughter as Tiff? Interesting idea. Will definitely have this in mind when reading the last one in autumn. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »
Not neccessarily his daughter.  I think more the idea that Granny Weatherwax's days as chief witch are nearing an end (there are references in this book to her being old and frail, in particular note her slipping on the pebbles) and time to hand the ropes to a new generation of satirists.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Jeni

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 02:52:56 AM »
Loved this! :D

Tiffany grows up quite a lot in this book ... loved the bit where Granny Weatherwax asks her if Petunia is her friend and Tiffany says some thing like - if she is I don't deserve it. Really highlighted that Tiffany is smart enough to recognise her faults and failings and learn from her mistakes.

Not sure how I feel about Oswald ... he(?) is a fun addition to the story - but if I had to live with someone that tidied away my stuff if it was left unattended for more than a couple of minutes, I'd go nuts. Damn spook would have been exorcised years ago!  :P

The Hiver was actually quite a scary villain for a kids book ... love that she dealt with it by learning to understand its nature and then finding a way to help it. That's a lesson a lot of adults I've encountered could do with learning!

And its good to see that the Nac Mac Feegles are still keeping an eye on Tiffany.  :)