May 25, 2018, 06:16:41 AM

Author Topic: [Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Discussion Thread  (Read 14955 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Discussion Thread
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
Multiple POVs

Mini Heroes by Mafubash - not 100% fitting but the best I could find on short notice

In June your story has to contain more than one point of view.
Short stories not often have and it will be quite challenging to fit more than one POV into the word count limit.
Different agendas, different places, different characters (doesn't matter if they have the same or opposite goals), ... you'll most likely need more words and because I'm not mean you get 200 words more this time. Make the best out of it! :)

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. Must have more than one point of view, gladly more than two.
3. Prose must be 500-1700 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-600 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

Entry will close July 1st 2015 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
Re: [Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »
Nice, this promises to be a bit more challenging, but we have no theme limiting us  :)

I'll start thinking of something now, and probably only get it done in the last 48 hours, of course.
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: [Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Submission Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »
Well this should be interesting!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:30:15 AM by xiagan »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »
Ouch.  Two or more PoVs, 1700 words, and no theme or even genre to guide us.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:08:54 AM »
Oh neat, we've got the extra 200 words. Is that going to be the limit for all stories from now on or is it just because this specific theme needs a touch extra space?

Also, I've already got a good idea for my entry. It's another comedy though. One of these days, I'm going to have to do a story that's actually serious all the way through....
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
Oh neat, we've got the extra 200 words. Is that going to be the limit for all stories from now on or is it just because this specific theme needs a touch extra space?
Just this once. ;)
(And in November when the theme is 'Novella'  ;D - j/k)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
I have a vague idea for a story... if I don't procrastinate too much I start writing tonight :3

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
Is it horrible if I write something related to my rpg character? I took him off a short story that wasn't going anywhere, but now I kind of fancy rebuilding from the ground up and make it multi povs.
People are gonna freak on me if he's still called Kassin I guess...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »
Is it horrible if I write something related to my rpg character? I took him off a short story that wasn't going anywhere, but now I kind of fancy rebuilding from the ground up and make it multi povs.
People are gonna freak on me if he's still called Kassin I guess...
Wouldn't bother me!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
Ok, I've got a vague idea but it is going to be very random!  ;D

Offline Eli_Freysson

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Eli Freysson's author page
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »
Alright, I had no idea what to do regarding the last contest, but I thought this one over at work and I'm pleased to announce I will be participating for the first time. I'll probably have 4-6 POV's.

Just for clarification, as I haven't had much to do the with English-language writing scene: Are we talking first-person POV as in "I was absolutely soaked with blood after that mighty battle", or just "Grognak Killfist looked over the sea of slain bodies in his wake and realized he shouldn't have worn white today."?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:29:51 PM by Eli Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »
Alright, I had no idea what to do regarding the last contest, but I thought this one over at work and I'm pleased to announce I will be participating for the first time. I'll probably have 4-6 POV's.

Just for clarification, as I haven't had much to do the with English-language writing scene: Are we talking first-person POV as in "I was absolutely soaked with blood after that mighty battle", or just "Grognak Killfist looked over the sea of slain bodies in his wake and realized he shouldn't have worn white today."?
Both is okay, but the second is more common I think. :)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »

It could be either, IMO. First person ("I was soaked") or Third Person limited ("He realized he shouldn't have worn white". I think that 3rd person Omniscient is out, because that would be one point of view (the narrator) seeing everything. And I can't imagine how to handle 2nd person for this assignment! ("You were soaked in blood weren't you, and realized, damn, you shouldn't have worn white today.")
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Group
  • Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »
And I can't imagine how to handle 2nd person for this assignment! ("You were soaked in blood weren't you, and realized, damn, you shouldn't have worn white today.")

Oh, wow.  I really want to write a 2nd-person-multiple-personality story now.

"In the wake of the relentless browbeating, you can't hold on.  You feel your control slipping.  Your big-brother-protective personality emerges to respond to the attack and keep yourselves safe."

I could even write: "Little did the rest of yous know..."

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
And I can't imagine how to handle 2nd person for this assignment! ("You were soaked in blood weren't you, and realized, damn, you shouldn't have worn white today.")

Oh, wow.  I really want to write a 2nd-person-multiple-personality story now.

"In the wake of the relentless browbeating, you can't hold on.  You feel your control slipping.  Your big-brother-protective personality emerges to respond to the attack and keep yourselves safe."

I could even write: "Little did the rest of yous know..."

Damn where is the Like button!!  ;D

I say that at work... I sit people in one of Melbourne's most famous restaurant. So when people say "just the two of us" I tend to playfully reply "the two of yous?"
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty